We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how much do i need to take for self catering for a week?

Which Paphos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kent
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
how much do i need to take for self catering for a week?

Hi we are going to coral bay in May for one week and i was wondering how much i would need to take for a family of four, two adults and two childred aged 11 and 4. we would probably eat at teh villa for breakfast and lunch, and buy bread and stuff from the supermarket and most probably eat out in the evening at least 4 times. i was thinking about £700. will this be enough?!! responses greatly appreciated. thanks.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how much do i need to take for self catering for a week?

I guess this is a difficult question because everyone is different. For example, while some families would be satisfied with burger & chips everyday others couldn't survive unless they were eating in top restaurants. The same could be said of trips and visits to places of interest against those content to spend the week sat on a beach.

Having said that, £700 seems like a fair amount for a family... last year I barely spent £200 on my own (but then I'm cheap).

I presume you're asking because you intend to take your Euro's with you? If so, are you aware you can draw cash (in Euros) from any old ATM in Cyprus using your usual bank card? It might make sense (and be safer) to take a smaller amount and then draw what funds you need once on holiday. There's also a strong possibility that the Pound will strengthen after the beginning of May (due to a potential interest rate rise in May) meaning you will get more Euros for your money later.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how much do i need to take for self catering for a week?

Work on UK prices plus I would suggest 10% for supermarket

Evening meal £45 x 5 = £250 (tips)

2 lunches 2(30) = 60 = £310

Food 1 week £ £150 (2 BBQ) supermarket = £460

£240 left for stuff you havent even thought of but will have to buy generally as some sharp seller is 2 steps ahead

Does that sound right?

Ashington, United...
Level Contributor
87 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how much do i need to take for self catering for a week?

£700 should be plenty just as long as you don't go mad, it's the little things like ice cream and cold drinks during the day that make a pretty big dent in the budget.Prices in the large supermarkets are pretty much on a par with the UK, smaller shops are priced at a premium so avoid if you can.Prices in restaurants start from about 10 euros for a 3 course set menu sometimes offer includes free bottle of wine with every 2 set menus and they also usually have a childrens menu.Once again be warned that the price of drinks will bump the final bill quite a bit as the kids will drink like fishes due to the heat

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how much do i need to take for self catering for a week?

If it's of any help, we are b&b and we bought a load of salad stuff from the big supermarket in the harbour area of pafos opposite Debenams (you would want to go to the harbour area anyway to visit the archaeological park). Pretty much UK prices for bread, milk, juice, jam etc and some nice cypriot white wines for about £4 a bottle, etc. We then went to a kebab takeaway next to our hotel and got 5 skewers of really nice authentic chicken and pork kebab for 10 euros - enough to feed the 3 of us with the salad. It worked out at about 4 euros per person.

The little shop on site was very expensive for things a teabags or tiny jar of coffee or a small red leicester cheese - locally produced stuff like feta cheese seems a lot cheaper.

5. Re: how much do i need to take for self catering for a week?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 14:15