We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seat selection on Thomson flight

Scotland
Level Contributor
115 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
Seat selection on Thomson flight

We have paid extra to pre book our seats on Thomson flight to Paphos in July. Travel agent said nearly everyone does it nowadays therefore it wld b more difficult for us to sit together as a family. Ok maybe just a ploy to get more money out of us but hey I fell for it. Now wondering best seat/rows etc to choose for family of 2 adults & 2 kids. Thanks

lancs
Level Contributor
980 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Seat selection on Thomson flight

We find row 4 to be a good choice,as you are served first with meals & drinks ect,also near toilets ,but not too near.

Marie.

Scotland
Level Contributor
115 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seat selection on Thomson flight

Thank you will keep that in mind

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seat selection on Thomson flight

Hi Hunca,

I'm wondering what process you're actually going to use to choose your seats? I assume you're able to log-in to the Thompson website yourself (using your booking number & name etc)?

If so, most airlines (although I'm unfamiliar with Thompson) will present a seating plan where you can simply tick the seats required by your party. More usefully, the plan will show those seats that have already been reserved.

Before you commit yourself check out the SeatGuru website which allow you to search for your destination/flight and then guide you to the best seats on particular aircraft - be aware though that airlines sometimes do change their aircraft type at the last moment.

http://www.seatguru.com

As for what the travel agent told you; they where probably exaggerating a little BUT in my opinion they've probably done you a favour. Choosing your own seats, especially for a larger party, is definitely worth the extra cost. The big three airlines that carry the bulk of the package holiday trade (Thompson, Thomas Cook & Monarch) probably have an average of 15-20% of their passengers pre-booking their seats (a low figure compared to the scheduled carriers). However they do have a pretty rushed attitude to filling their seats at check-in and its common to find that once the plane is half filled its increasingly difficult for a party of two to be sat together never mind larger groups.

Also, if you do have access to the airline's website will that mean you can check-in online? Great news if you can... you'll be able to drop off your bags at the airport and skip the queues ;-)

John

Dumfries
Level Contributor
375 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seat selection on Thomson flight

If you are going in july and it is with Thomson airways then you should very soon get an e mail from Thomsons letting you log in and choose your seats.I am going on 19th june and wasallowed to do this 2 weeks ago.Make sure you confirm the seats you want.

Reason I say Thomsons airways is because they also use Monarch and Jet 2,at some airports

Dumfries
Level Contributor
375 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seat selection on Thomson flight

If you are going in july and it is with Thomson airways then you should very soon get an e mail from Thomsons letting you log in and choose your seats.I am going on 19th june and wasallowed to do this 2 weeks ago.Make sure you confirm the seats you want.

Reason I say Thomsons airways is because they also use Monarch and Jet 2,at some airports

cleethorpes u.k.
Level Contributor
341 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seat selection on Thomson flight

I booked our seats with Thomson and when I rang and asked for seatstowards the front I was told that this section was for passengers taking flight meals and we could only book seats from the middle of the pane towards the back.

Didn't make much difference to us but would be interested if anyone else was fed this information and if this is correct then surely Thomson need reporting to Trading Standards as you cannot actually choose the seats where you would like to be seated.

Beverley
Level Contributor
198 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seat selection on Thomson flight

Hi Bozza

The same happened to us.We booked the holiday on line and when the seating plan came up we realised that the front seats were reserved for those who were having a meal so we had to choose seats at the back of the plane.I dont know if it was our imagination but they didn"t seem to be as comfortable as those at the front. It was the first time we hadn"t booked a meal and in future we will to make sure we are at the front. Thats more money they will get out of us but I suppose its our choice.

Dumfries
Level Contributor
375 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seat selection on Thomson flight

When you get your flight plan to pre book your seats,those at the front are available to those who have booked a meal.I asked last year and was told it was to save trailing trolley up and down aisle with scattered customers.I don't notice much difference between seats at front or the back.

kelvedon
Level Contributor
171 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seat selection on Thomson flight

Got to say, Im disabled, and all ive got to do is phone Thomson up and request front seats, and i get them...they have always been very helpful with me, and i even get to load the flight first, so i don't need to hurry.

We don't have a meal at all (not paying for the tripe they serve up) and have always been told that the front seats are reserved for the disabled, or elderly.

We also don't get charged either...yet if you want to book any other seat, they say there is a charge????????

Edited: 25 April 2011, 15:39
swindon
Level Contributor
157 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seat selection on Thomson flight

hi i had a email about 8 weeks before to chose seats could choose any i wanted the email showed the plan i did not book meals. the only ones out of bounds were disabled seats and exrta leg room unless you paid the extra which i did as being nearly 6 foot need it on flights over two hours.

Get answers to your questions about Paphos