We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone Talk to the locals in Kato

London, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone Talk to the locals in Kato

Love it there! Love it love it love it! 9th time in 3 years so before I get attacked, I will say this. I will go back again and again and again.

However, I am so very sad to see so many places shut (came back last Friday) Pubs empty, restaurants empty, clubs empty.

Speaking to the local owners and friends and was so sad to hear they are going out of business because of the GREEDY hotels - offering all inclusive deals. No one wants to go out and see the real Kato any more, they are just sitting around in hotels getting fat and drunk! Such a shame! And it's a shame the UK isn't hot because if people on all inclusive holidays just stay in their hotels getting fat and drunk then what is the point of going to another country? They may as well stay in the UK!

Rant over. Such a great great shame :(

Paphos, Cyprus
Level Contributor
2,748 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone Talk to the locals in Kato

My sentiments exactly Theresa and the tourists will wonder why the place is dead.

Kev

Chorley
Level Contributor
673 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone Talk to the locals in Kato

Agree with you 100%, its been a problem in Paphos now for the last 8/10 years and it will get worse as more and more of the hotels are now offering AI as a supplement if youre on a lower board basis. Like you say its sad they might has well stop at home.

Mentioned in this post
Paphos
Paphos
Paphos District, Cyprus
London, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone Talk to the locals in Kato

Glad for your support on this. Really thought I was going to have half a dozen people hunt me down and murder me for what I said!

Another thing, I was amazed that the cat population has dwindled too. I know they are being controlled by being spayed and neutered but there are no cats left to make babies and they are slowly dying out. Every souvenier shop takes pride in selling their love of our feline friends as Cyprus is apparently a cat loving country. I think they are controlling kitty cats a little too much! That's not a whinge, just an observation.

Mentioned in this post
Cyprus
Cyprus
Europe
Blfast
Level Contributor
398 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone Talk to the locals in Kato

Couldn't agree more but it is not only Paphos where this is happening Protaras is the same ,more and more fat greedy pigs sitting in their hotels eating sub-standard food and watered down drinks instead of getting out and supporting local restaurants and bars where the standard of food and drinks are far better.

And then those that do leave for an hour or two complain that there is nothing in the resort or surrounding areas,that is because people like them are ruining the resorts by not supporting local trade.rant over

Mentioned in this post
Paphos
Paphos
Paphos District, Cyprus
Protaras
Protaras
Paralimni, Cyprus
London, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone Talk to the locals in Kato

Spot on!!!!! Ps. did that in capital letters but this is a no frills website and I got told off for shouting ha ha! Me thinks the automated censor is rather amusing really

kelvedon
Level Contributor
173 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone Talk to the locals in Kato

I total agree with you too....We have had some fantastic holidays, and always venture out on foot in the area...you would be suprised on what what you can see, who you can meet, and what you can do.

We hired a car once, and it ended up beind sat outside the hotel for 2 days, as you can't see the real Kato from a car.....you need to meet the people to get a feel of the place.

London, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone Talk to the locals in Kato

What makes me smile is when you sit and cost if all up. I had a beautiful two double bedroom apartment right next to the private pool. No loud music to stop me sleeping at night and no bad repetitive food (I'm sure some of these hotels recycle the food the next day - one minute it's a roast then hey presto the next day they have the same meat in a casserole)

Soooooo. My flights and apartment (fully equipped and with air con) and then I costed up every breakfast, lunch and evening meal (plus one or two gyros for good measure) Crazy amounts of local beverages and wine and it turned out that my holiday including flights and accommodation was cheaper than if I had paid for all inclusive. Woohoo! So I get a free ice cream if I go all inclusive!!!!!!!!

In 2004 I did go on an all inclusive for my sins. This was purely because I had a little girl with me and it was convenient for her to be able to eat snacks and stuff when she was hungry in a new environment. Have to say though, we went out every evening and sampled the local food, we went on excursions nearly every day, we still supported the locals and had a good time. It got to a point with the all inclusive that we just looked at what was on offer each day and felt ill at the thought of eating the same ole thing every single night.

Forgot my daughter was passionate about different cultures even when she was 11 years old. That was the first and last A.I we went on. I just pity the poor people that think they have saved money.

I know what you mean, Kelvedon_queen, about the car. Must say though, without the one I rented, we would not have been able to go to Pissouri for a wonderful fresh fish lunch, nor Viklari for breathtaking scenery and the most amazing lunch nor drive to the Kykkos monastery and take in the beautiful views of the Troodos mountains. But, didn't need it for anything else, so just booked it for 3 days, which was perfect.

Mentioned in this post
Viklari
Viklari
1,036 Reviews
Peyia, Cyprus
Pissouri
Pissouri
Limassol District, Cyprus
Paphos, Cyprus
Level Contributor
2,748 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone Talk to the locals in Kato

Hi Theresa

You mentioned that the cats were not about, well they are they are all queing up at the hotels lol

Kev

London, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone Talk to the locals in Kato

You sure they aren't part of the all inclusive fine menu? Lol!

Brierley Hill...
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone Talk to the locals in Kato

dont know how you did all that cheaper than all inclusive,i always went self catering and was spending 100 to 150 euros aday,you add that up for 7 or 14 days then the cost of your hotel.costsfrom1800 pounds to 2400 pounds.flying tomorrow to coral bay me and wife all inclusive 1100 pounds ,still got around 700,pounds for week left to do as i please,might book another all inc,if bars and resturants didnt of kept raising prices there would be no all inc,had my rant off to pack