We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

explosion in cyprus

Newcastle upon...
6 posts
Save Topic
explosion in cyprus

Does anyone know if paphos has been affected by the blast at the navy base? In in terms of power cuts etc? or is Paphos powered by a seperate power station? Awful what has happened there, cyprus is such a beutiful island with such friendly people.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Paphos
Paphos
Paphos District, Cyprus
Troodos Mountains...
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: explosion in cyprus

See the Limmassol Zygi question for more detail. Answer here is Cyprus has a grid system and 1 of the three power stations (and the largest) is probably out of action. There is not enough remaining generating capacity to meet the full demand so there are warnings of rolling cuts at peak times unless everyone reduces there use of electricity. I have yet to see detail of any plans on these cuts.

Mentioned in this post
Cyprus
Cyprus
Europe
Larnaca, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Larnaka District, Larnaca
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: explosion in cyprus

Although details have not been published officially yet, I understand that industry sectors considered as of high importance, will have a minimum impact in regards to power cuts. These sectors include hospitals, airports, and the tourism industry. Yesterday there was a huge demand by business to install their own power generators,including restaurants as well. As far as I know a lot of hotels alrady have their own power generating systems.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: explosion in cyprus

Just appeared on Cyprus Living forum....

"Second Announcement EAC-Severe damage to H / S Royal - 11/07/2011

The Electricity Authority first of all I would like to express its sincere condolences to the families of the victims of today's explosion, and wished the injured sixty more rapid and complete recovery. When the President of the Board and Director General of the EAC informed of the tragic incident was in constant communication with both the Minister of Trade, Industry and Tourism to the Presidential Palace, all stakeholders and the Energy Regulatory Cyprus and the Transmission System Operator. Then the Minister of Commerce Industry and Tourism Antonis Paschalidis chaired morning site meeting to examine the problems created. The meeting was attended by Chairman of the Board of the EAC and the Director General of the Organization. At this meeting decisions were made ​​and then informed the President of the Republic.

Then held at the Headquarters of the new EAC meeting which was attended by representatives of the Cyprus Energy Regulatory Authority (CERA), the Director of Transmission System Operators (TSOs) and the EAC. The issue will be discussed in plenary of the Board of the EAC at an extraordinary session tomorrow which will be taken and decisions.

It is obvious that the Power Station Royal has suffered very heavy damage and the immediate restoration is not possible.

With the above, the EAC in consultation always with CERA and the office of SCM, consider all possible scenarios to address the problem of electricity created on site.

In this context, the EAC will examine the case coming to Cyprus mobile power plants. While considering the case of assistance from the European Union, as required by the relevant directive.

EAC's effort of CERA and the TSO is like cause minimal negative impact on vital sectors of economy such as tourism and industry.

Therefore the provision of electricity to:

1. Basic services of the State and other essential services (hospitals, airports, police, water pumping stations, etc.)

2. Main tourist areas

3. Large industrial areas that include large industrial units

will continue uninterrupted as possible.

In other areas, which are divided into thirteen groups, there will be rotating blackouts. Because they are not sure the length of the interruption, consumers consider that the premises are under tension that are current.

The public is advised not to use elevators because the power failure can happen at any time. Also calling for people to not use any conditioners and reduce electricity consumption in general. To enable consumers to contribute to the difficult task of saving energy, attached brochure EAC simple advice.

EAC announces Cypriots our fellow citizens that will take all appropriate measures in order to meet the demand of electricity in collaboration with CERA and with all stakeholders so as to facilitate the implementation of this difficult project. "

Mentioned in this post
Cyprus
Cyprus
Europe
London
Level Contributor
1 post
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: explosion in cyprus

In Aphrodite Hills yesterday the electricity was running in cycles of 3 hours on and 3 hours off.

Newcastle upon...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: explosion in cyprus

My mam and dad are there at the min. Actually in Paphos and had no electiricty since yesterday :(. Think some of hotels are up and running but not ruuning air con etc

Mentioned in this post
Paphos
Paphos
Paphos District, Cyprus
Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: explosion in cyprus

Today's Cyprus Mail...

http://www.cyprus-mail.com/

...some very strong stuff!

Mentioned in this post
Cyprus
Cyprus
Europe
Newcastle upon...
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: explosion in cyprus

I dont know if my previous message posted so here it is again. Helsbellsss are you parents holidaying or living in Paphos? I have gathered that turkey are going to supply electricity to areas with none and generators are being sent from Greece so hopefully your parents will be back to normalk soon! Scary not having air con when the temperatures seem so high!

Mentioned in this post
Paphos
Paphos
Paphos District, Cyprus
Greece
Greece
Europe
Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: explosion in cyprus

hi we are flying out to larnaca on 26th i have heard the main power station is down and there is a problem whith the desalination plants and that water is in short supply any advise please,paul

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
5,082 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: explosion in cyprus

I guess the visitor (as opposed to resident) experience will vary depending on whether hotel or apartment/villa accommodation is arranged.

The hotel I was in this morning was using a generator that powered everything except air conditioning. Guests had been asked to use water sparingly.

At home in Chloraka, the power was off for over 2 hours this morning but the water has been ok. Most villages around Paphos seem to have had 2 x 2 hour power cuts today.

Regards

Trisha

Mentioned in this post
Paphos
Paphos
Paphos District, Cyprus
Paphos, Cyprus
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: explosion in cyprus

We are in Kato Paphos in the tourist Universal area in Paradise gardens in a self catering apt - we have been experiencing 2 hour blackout in the morning and then again in the evening - however, on the whole it IS manageable and it would seem the hotels are also being given priority along with emergency services. I still haven't seen any formally published blackout schedules - but it would seem the poor locals in residential areas will be most affected.

Business as usual everywhere we've been so far, restaraunts etc, paphos Harbour etc. some places no air con.

Happy holidays

M, V, and H

Mentioned in this post
Paphos
Paphos
Paphos District, Cyprus