We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If I want to avoid the English Pubs, Irish Bars etc.......

Which Paphos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
597 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
If I want to avoid the English Pubs, Irish Bars etc.......

and want to eat and drink in real greek/cypriot style tavernas and bars could someone point me in the right direction please ?

We are staying at the Elysium but would like to venture out some evenings. Not keen on the "Brits Abroad" Karaoke style pubs and restaurants so where abouts in Paphos should I head for please ?

Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
for Larnaka City, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
6,036 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If I want to avoid the English Pubs, Irish Bars etc.......

Hi, try Zorbas or Kings of Aphrodite on tomb of the kings road. or Dorkemitros {not sure if I have spelt that right} in bar street that is a good one. Julie

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,173 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If I want to avoid the English Pubs, Irish Bars etc.......

I was under the impression Bar Street was the main place to avoid if you didn't want to encounter the typical British Friday night scene ?.

Paphos, Cyprus
Level Contributor
789 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If I want to avoid the English Pubs, Irish Bars etc.......

I would definitely avoid 'Bar street': the Brits and ex-pat teenager haven! ('teenagers' in Bar street = 13+. Unfortunately, in Cyprus, checking ID is low on bar owners' priorities)

Paphos, Cyprus
Level Contributor
789 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If I want to avoid the English Pubs, Irish Bars etc.......

Essex_mike , will you have a car - or will you have to stay around the vicinity of the Elyssium which is the 'tourist area'? The traditional taverns where the locals choose to go are not , unfortunately, in Kato Paphos. We know little about the area because we tend to avoid it.

Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
for Larnaka City, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
6,036 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If I want to avoid the English Pubs, Irish Bars etc.......

yes bar st, is the place to avoid, but the restraunt is really good cypriot nights there are brilliant.Julie

Kent, England
Level Contributor
795 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If I want to avoid the English Pubs, Irish Bars etc.......

Apomero, a few streets back from bar street, is good , also Melania and Karlinas which are further up the TOTK road would be worth a try. Otherwise, and if you have a car , i would try some of the outlying villages for tavernas eg Aristos at Tsada. Only problem then is that the person driving cannot drink.

London, United...
Level Contributor
283 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If I want to avoid the English Pubs, Irish Bars etc.......

If you want traditional - real Cyprus you need to go to Fettas Corner - This is in Old Paphos, opposite the town hall. They have all the tables out on the pavement, the more people that turn up the more tables get put out the waiters have walk across the road to serve you. Full of locals young and old - meat, fish or vegetarian meze. Also for a drink same area a bar called mues ( I think) again very chic does food and locals young and old absolutely beautiful looks out over the whole of Paphos.

Paphos, Cyprus
Level Contributor
789 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If I want to avoid the English Pubs, Irish Bars etc.......

The cafe with fab views is the Muse. very popular local venue in the old town.

www.muse-kitchen-bar.com/

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
597 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If I want to avoid the English Pubs, Irish Bars etc.......

Some great advice from you all.

I won't be driving at night as we enjoy a glass of vinoor two with dinner (and long afterwards of course)

We are lively 40 something's but I cannot abide some of the yobbish Brits abroad behaviour.

Sounds like Old Paphos is the place for us maybe. How about the Harbour ? Nice or best avoided ?

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
597 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: If I want to avoid the English Pubs, Irish Bars etc.......

Muse looks right up our street

Old Paphos is calling !

Cannot wait until 28th now!