We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

question about day trip to Limassol, Kolosi and Kourion

Which Paphos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
109 posts
154 reviews
Save Topic
question about day trip to Limassol, Kolosi and Kourion

Hello - my wife and I wanted to take a day from Kato Paphos to Limassol in September. This is our idea: drive first to Limassol and then proceed to Kolossi Castle. Proceed to lunch at a beach cafe at Kourion and then spend the afternoon trouring Kourion. How long a drive is it to Limassol from Kato Paphos? In addition, how long a drive is it from Kourion to Kato Paphos?

Would it be better to go to Kourion first and then end with lunch in Limassol? It seems better to tour Kourion later to avoid crowds.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,614 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: question about day trip to Limassol, Kolosi and Kourion

Hi it takes about 45 minutes to drive from Paphos to Limassol. I am not sure that it makes any difference in what order you do it. The weather should be great in September it is my favourite month to visit Cyprus.

Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
for Larnaka City, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
5,942 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: question about day trip to Limassol, Kolosi and Kourion

Hi, I try to do my sightseeing earlier in the morning to avoid the crowds, you could visit kurion first, then see Klossi castle, after that go on to Limassol for a nice long lunch out of the mid day heat. must agree with Twigs Sept is also my favorite month to visit Cyprus. Julie

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
764 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: question about day trip to Limassol, Kolosi and Kourion

I would drive along the old road rather than the highway and do Temple of Apollo, which is off on the left before Kourion, then Kourion site both in the morning then go down to either the restaurant at the bottom of the road or one of the beach tavernas for lunch. Then after lunch Kolossi Castle and Limassol Harbour and Castle. But if you have a spare day I would do Limassol and Governors Beach on one day. and after Kolossi go back along the old road and stop in Pissouri Beach and Pissouri Village (about one mile apart).

Depends what you want to see in Limassol.

After Limassol you could return on the highway

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: question about day trip to Limassol, Kolosi and Kourion

Hi

I love Kourion in September BUT can still be extremely HOT in September, go early morning or later in the afternoon, but if get sweaty can have a dip in the sea and then something to eat in one of beach tavernas (the first one does a fab halloumi, egg and chips right on the beach). My son and his girlfriend (21 and 25) are currently living in Peyia and they hired a car and drove to Limassol and they hated it, referred it to Blackpool, dull and very industrial. They couldn't wait to drive away. But that is their opinion and I have never been there. Drive on the coastal road on the way home and stop of at Aphrodites Rock. There is a car park on the right and a tunnel by the cafe takes you under the road and out on to the beach.

Enjoy.

Isle of Wight
Level Contributor
206 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: question about day trip to Limassol, Kolosi and Kourion

Sounds like a lot to try and do in one day ? , As said here i wouldnt bother with Limassol either ( personal opinion ) and you can spend a long time looking around Kourion / Kollosi depending on how interested you are in the history , oh and one thing , do buy a good guide book as some of the sights are sadly lacking in info and you can miss alot ................

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
109 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: question about day trip to Limassol, Kolosi and Kourion

Thanks for all of the feedback. Yes, we will skip Limassol. I had read that tour groups crowd Kourion in the morning so that is why I was thinking of going at the end of the day after lunch.

How long a drive is to Kourion from Paphos Harbor?

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
764 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: question about day trip to Limassol, Kolosi and Kourion

About 50 Kms, To get there whilst it is cooler you could go via the Highway which would be about 30 minutes drive, then Kolossi Castle which is very close. Lunch on Kourion Beach (also sometimes signposted as Curium Beach) then amble back as suggested along the old road. It will be hot but several stops would make it very pleasant.

England, United...
Level Contributor
694 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: question about day trip to Limassol, Kolosi and Kourion

I'd second the advice to use the old road (B6.) The motorway is OK for getting from A to B quickly but you won't get the best views along the way.

I'd also avoid visiting Kourion in the middle of the day... it's just too hot.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
109 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: question about day trip to Limassol, Kolosi and Kourion

Excellent advice thank you! I presume I would see the temple of Apollo on the drive home after lunch.

10. Re: question about day trip to Limassol, Kolosi and Kourion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2013, 09:28