We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone else fed up of getting ripped off by airlines?

London, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone else fed up of getting ripped off by airlines?

Flying Monarch this year (Mrs vetoed Easyjet due to the non allocation of seats) and the additional charges are shocking.

Over £70 just for meals, £100+ for baggage, £50 to sit together and then they still have the cheek to charge for using the old plastic to pay.

The total price was still reasonable compared to BA but i'm fed up of paying ridiculous fees for baggage, food and seating.

Anyone else with me?

Jim

Hastings
Level Contributor
164 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Anyone else fed up of getting ripped off by airlines?

I don't see that your story is one of being "ripped off" at all. I agree with Paul and Paul (!)

If the total came to the same as you would have paid with BA (and I think you are saying it came to less) then I am mystified as to what your gripe is!

Monarch gave you the choice of making (or buying at the airport) a few sandwiches instead of paying £70 for inflight food, and if you didn't take that option then more fool you!

At home I make a pile of sandwiches or cook up some sausages, pack with some cheese, ham, and fruit. Cost me about £2. On return, buy something at a supermarket etc. Airline food is appalling. "Gate Gourmet"? Don't make me laugh!

And Paul is right - when inflight food is free people take it, rip it open, sneer and chuck it away. What a waste! At least when people pay £4.50 for a toastie on EJ they eat the thing.

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,770 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Anyone else fed up of getting ripped off by airlines?

Hi Barbara003, did you book online? I've heard that some travel agent websites track your visits and hike the prices if you've been checking out prices more than once. I just noticed with Thomson that the taxi transfer price is now £3 more than it was yesterday.

Netherton
Level Contributor
574 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Anyone else fed up of getting ripped off by airlines?

DeneBebbo

Just clear your browser history or use a different computer. Yes they can track your history of visits but they don't always hike prices. I tend to open a new window if I am close to placing a booking in order to check prices elsewhere, etc that way it is easy to go back to the page you were on to place if you so wish and as you haven't navigated away then the hostory doesn't get to track you

Regards Dave and Chell

Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,369 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Anyone else fed up of getting ripped off by airlines?

Hi Debbie, You can book Direct Holidays on line but I actually rang because I wanted to check to make sure we did get 20kilo luggage allowance, the lady I spoke to said she would do the booking for me so I went ahead and booked it over the phone, but I could have done it on line. I didn't realise that we also got a meal on the plane as well. Now I know we all complain about airline food but as it was included we'll accept it, save taking the sarnies with us on board.A friend of mine uses Direct Holiday all the time but I think you have to look at them then check with Thomas Cooks to see what price they are offering.Another friend got a very good deal with Thompsons the other week, she is staying at the Kefalos Beach Hotel, on my recommendation and was able to get half board for a penny a day extra, they weren't bothered about going half board but they can have lunch instead and still try some of the restaurants. That deal is no longer being offered by Thompsons so they were very lucky.She didn't hesitate either, saw it and booked it. That's what you have to do. Barbara

Edited: 07 April 2012, 20:12
Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
291 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Anyone else fed up of getting ripped off by airlines?

Hi Barbara had such a laugh imagining your hubby climbing over the middle seat hogger to get to the window reminded me so much of my husband......he would do exactly the same never mind about embarrassing me.By the way we have recently returned from paphos ,you very kindly answered a query of mine and we me,my mum 89,my brother,my son and girlfriend all enjoyed tremendously...left hubby at home cat sitting.Enjoy your hols when you go.

Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,369 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Anyone else fed up of getting ripped off by airlines?

Hi swanseajen, glad you had a good holiday in Paphos and pleased to hear that I answered a query but not sure what that was, but would like to know where you stayed at, and which restaurants did you go to (that is if you did go to any, cos you may have eaten where you were staying) Love hearing about peoples holiday.Barbara. PS my hubby would never let me have the window seat, even if it has got my name on it. But then I usually fall asleep so a bit wasted on me.

Edited: 12 April 2012, 17:22
England, United...
Level Contributor
904 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Anyone else fed up of getting ripped off by airlines?

I never let my wife have t window seat either. She gets up to go to the loo far too often, whereas I rarely get up at all. On our last trip I managed Kuala Lumpur to London without getting out of my seat. 13 hours IIRC.

I'll probably die of deep vein thrombosis on my next trip though.

Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,369 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Anyone else fed up of getting ripped off by airlines?

Hi Hoggyn it sounds like a man thing, never going to the loo on an aircraft, that is also why hubby won't let me have the window seat. We were once flying from Brisbane to Perth (about a 5 hour flight,) and I was in the middle seat as usual, the bloke on the aisle seat must have taken a sleeping pill cos he fell fast asleep as soon as we took off, well about 4 hours into the flight I just had to go and no way could I climb over him, so I asked the stewardess and she said wake him up, I didn't want to so she did, felt a bit sorry for him but I just couldn't last any longer.Barbara

Torquay, United...
Level Contributor
289 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Anyone else fed up of getting ripped off by airlines?

Im flying out with monarch this year and found it to be cheaper than flying with easyjet.

Granted there are extras, but there is with all airlines these days and flight cost out going up in general

Isle of Wight
Level Contributor
206 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Anyone else fed up of getting ripped off by airlines?

I flew with Monarch last year and didnt use any of the extras , Easy done ..

Get answers to your questions about Paphos
Recent Conversations