We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Donkey "Sanctuary" near Paphos

Which Paphos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
LINCS UK
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Donkey "Sanctuary" near Paphos

Hi We have just returned from a lovely Holiday in Cyprus but I felt I just had to leave a comment with regards a Donkey "Sanctuary" just outside of Paphos we visited.

It is on the edge of a village called Kathikas not that far from Coral Bay.

Now I know there were only about 9 Donkeys living here but I felt the conditions they were subject to were appalling. It was a tip of a place. The fields the animals were in were just dried mud and stones. Their only drink was in big plastic butts that contained green water full of flies. Their shelter was a tin shack that was falling apart. Some of the Donkeys looked quite thin. They only seemed to have dried twigs to eat on. We found them some grass and they loved it. Has anyone else visited here and not liked what they found? Does anyone know who you would report this place to in Cyprus in order for an animal welfare official to visit and check it out? I should hate to think these animals were being miskept.

Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
for Larnaka City, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
6,036 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Donkey "Sanctuary" near Paphos

Hi, type cyprus donkey sanctuary vouni into your search, there is a contact number they should be able to help.I hope these poor animals get help, I have not been to the place you are talking about .I have been to vouni, the donkeys looked cared for.Julie

Camborne, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Donkey "Sanctuary" near Paphos

Totaly agree with the above comment.

We visit the Vouni sanctuary every year. They do a wonderful job in looking after abandoned and unwanted donkeys, and cruelty cases.

Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,036 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Donkey "Sanctuary" near Paphos

Hi LINCSLADDIE,The contact number for vouni, is+357 25945488.

Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Donkey "Sanctuary" near Paphos

Hi Lincsladdie,

I work part-time at the Vouni Donkey Sanctuary. There are two phone numbers. The phone number that barkinmad gave you is the shop number.

You should ring the office - +357 25944151 (normal office hours) and report your findings. There is a welfare officer and she can go and check it. I know that she has visited the sanctuary at Kathikas before.

I will be going to Vouni on Friday, so I will check then that she has received your information. It is better if you report it yourself.

Cypjo

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Donkey "Sanctuary" near Paphos

Vouni Donkey Sanctuary is on the move soon...

cyprus-mail.com/features/…20120930

LINCS UK
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Donkey "Sanctuary" near Paphos

Back in Cyprus and revisited the Donkeys near Kathikas. I have to say what a transformation. Things are now 100 times better for them. Their old accommodation has been demolished and they are now in a new area that has a big covered building for them to shelter in. There were 4 big water butts for them to drink from and this also was under a covered shelter. The water also looked fresh. Loads of hay for them to graze on and they looked quite content with their surroundings. There was also another smaller area with another 4 donkeys in and again they had water and hay and shelter. There has clearly been a lot of work gone on in improving this place and work is also still ongoing. For the 2 Euro per person entry it is now worth a visit if the money is going to continue to help the owners develop the Donkey Farm. We left feeling so much happier than last time.

Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,036 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Donkey "Sanctuary" near Paphos

Thank you for your update it is great to hear conditions have improved for the donkeys.Julie

Swansea, South Wales
Level Contributor
194 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Donkey "Sanctuary" near Paphos

Thanks for the update LL - so glad to hear the sanctuary has improved. The living conditions sound much better. (I've had to report various cases of cruelty/neglect to horses in fields near where we live in the UK & I hate to see any form of cruelty towards animals)

We might visit the donkey sanctuary ourselves when we go to paphos in september. Can you reach Kathikas by bus or is it far in a taxi from Paphos? Thanks

9. Re: Donkey "Sanctuary" near Paphos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2014, 06:18