We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time to Cyprus

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,632 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
First Time to Cyprus

My wife and I will be traveling to Cyprus for five nights in September. This will be our first time so we need some help on what to see, where to stay, etc. any and all help would be appreciated. I know this is a vague request, but we have to start somewhere and research from there. We'll hire a car, we like the beach/pool and seeing the sights.

Thanks!

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,286 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time to Cyprus

Hi

Just to start somewhere, If your priority is seeing as much of the island as possible in five days you may be best to base yourself somewhere like Limassol or Pissouri as they are both pretty good bases for getting around. Alternatively you could stay in Paphos as you would have some of the architectural sites on your doorstep.

Not sure quite how important a good beach is to you but if it is very important then you may be better staying on the Eastern side of the island.

I would suggest a visit to the Troodos mountains, Omodos, Platres etc and to Nicosia and if not staying in Paphos then a visit to the architectural sites there is a must. Nearer to Limassol you have Kourion. You will pass many other interesting places on your travels.

There are some very nice hotels and apartments in all resorts with good pools so that won't be a problem.

Good luck with your research.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,632 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time to Cyprus

Thanks that gives me a good start for my research for our trip.

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
166 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time to Cyprus

Hi,

We have been to Cyprus several times and have always stayed in Paphos. We prefer this side of the Island. There are lots of things to see in the area, Lara Bay where the turtles nest, Aphrodites bath/cave which is near the village of Polis which is also nice to visit. The Troodos mountains are also worth a visit, lovely scenery. In Paphos itself there are the Tombs of the Kings and also National Heritage site where you can see Roman Mosaics etc. Hope this is helpful and enjoy Cyprus.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,632 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time to Cyprus

Awesome help! Thanks!

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,286 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time to Cyprus

It is also great to drive around the Akamas Peninsula.

I should add that September is a great time to go. The weather is just right.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time to Cyprus

I was in Cyprus a few years ago. It was my first time, and it has been one of my vacations. I stayed at Paradise Gardens 2 in Paphos. We over looked the pool in the middle of the complex.Had a two bedroom appartment with our own kitchen so we cooked alot of our own meals which was great. If you have a car the there was a few grocerystores and markets to get food. It was only a short walk away to the habour front and the beach ( an easy 10-15 minute walk).( May have been shorter i cant remmeber lol) The Habour was beautiful with tons of restaurants bars and discos. It was very easy to book different excurions you just walk down to the harbor. We did three different excursions. A Jeep Safari which was sooo much fun we visited a Church, Aphrodites Bath, Lara Bay ( sea turtles) a small hike to a gorge which was beautiful and fun, Reptile park, Had lunch at a beautiful marina, sea caves. Plus the beautiful countryside and our guide Jason made our day he was amazing. Also did a half day boat trip along the coast went swimming and drank alot lol. There was lots of drinks, games, live music and food, we had a blast. And thirdly a fourwheel trip to Adonis' bath ( which i highly reccomend seeing!!!! 10 x better than Aphrodite's!) We all got to drive our own 4 wheeler ( which if you are not comfortable doin i advise you to get on the back of someones who has driven one before lol) I though i could do it ended up ditching mine and jumping onto my bf's. Very bumpy, dusty and lots of hills and cliffs to dodge. but it was sooo much fun and once you get to Adonis bath its soooo worth it! It was a hidden tropical little experience with a fresh water waterfal that you can swim in ( bring your bathing suit), there was also a little museum. Then we drove back and they took us to a field to play around with the 4 wheelers.( which i though would have been better to do at the beginning. lol ) All in all a great day, our guides we great, and the bathes was sooo picturesque:) When you are there you must go and eat a "Mezze". Omg sooo much great local food and alot of the restaurants offer them. Felt very safe in Paphos, the nightlife was fantastic ,affordable to eat out and lots of fun things to do. I only wish i had of done more touring around up the coast, to the Tombs,and to different towns and cities.There is sooo much to do i will be back :)

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,632 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time to Cyprus

Sounds fun! We'll be there for 5 days...Will that be enough time?

swadlincote
Level Contributor
494 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time to Cyprus

your five days will be just the start. we first visited Cyprus 12 years ago; now we own a place of our own and visit as many times a year as possible.

TV shows you the dream of 'a place in the sun', now we live it.

Have a great time on your stay.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,632 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Time to Cyprus

Thanks...We're looking at flying in from Athens or Istanbul. LCA would be the preferred airport? We'll be renting a car. We think we'll stay in the Paphos, Limassol area?

Torquay, United...
Level Contributor
289 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Time to Cyprus

I would not fly into LCA as its miles and miles from paphos.

If you can get direct flights to paphos I would do and your only about 10-15mins away from the front

Get answers to your questions about Paphos
Recent Conversations