We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worried now!!

Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
24 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Worried now!!

I've spent all afternoon reading the forum trying to get an idea of just what to expect from our holiday in Paphos.

We go on 1st August for 2 weeks, by 'we' I mean myself and my 15 year old boy/girl twins. My idea is to relax, swim and sunbathe with the odd bit of sightseeing - the twins, well hopefully they'll sleep in late like they do at home and leave me to sunbathe in peace for a couple of hours.

However, having read the reviews it seems like Paphos is no longer as idyllic as it once was! So many places closing down, expensive, scruffy - sounds like Blackpool!!

Please someone tell me I'm wrong??

Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,369 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worried now!!

Hi Jools, first of all where are you staying. We love Paphos and are going back in Sept. We are staying at the Aloe hotel, which doesn't get the best reviews but we chose it because of the location, it is near the Alexander the Great hotel and there is a small beach nearby. We think Paphos has a great bus system, a 3 euro day ticket and you can go all over if you wish. We like going up to Coral bay for a day out and usually go to the next beach along and get off the bus at the terminus and go on Coraillia beach, very pretty. We love al the restaurants and I am always reading the reviews so we can try new ones. The promenade is really nice and it is a lovely walk to the harbour.I know there are a few bars along Bar Street that have closed but we don't go there. So if we know where you are staying we can give you a bit more advice. Barbara

Edited: 22 June 2012, 20:04
Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
423 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worried now!!

Do not be worried. Paphos is nothing like Blackpool and is certainly not scruffy. Yes, many places, mainly bars and restaurants have closed which is mainly due to hotels going all inclusive. Which hotel and area are you staying in. We have been going to Paphos for the past 10 years and have seen some changes but still love the place and always come back completely relaxed.

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
423 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worried now!!

Hi Barbara, what date in September are you going, we are there on 2nd to 12th staying in Athena Beach.

Torquay, United...
Level Contributor
289 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worried now!!

We are currently out here and yes tell me to get off tripadvisor but we are loving it and already planning to come back in october for aweek.

Get yourself a set of wheels and go visit places.

We are only 5days into our holiday and find it great. Also knowing whats coming as we have come to paphos the last 5years running.

You will have a great time. Just use this site to find the best places.

Be sure to visit the old town for a meal at fattas corner and have a drink ar muse cafe/bar. Also we found pitstop on the coral bay road is good. Weather also hot

Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
24 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worried now!!

Phew!! Thanks for replying! And thanks for the advice of where to go, I like to go to more 'local' type places to eat or have a drink, so the ideas you've given me sound good.

I have hired a car (I hope), which I plan to make the most of.

Don't blame you for looking at TA whilst you're away, it's very informative!!

Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,369 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worried now!!

Hi Lucy we are going the 18th September to 2nd October so you will be home and planning your next holiday before we come out.

Hi April, glad you are having a good time, where are you staying and have you tried any restaurants? do you know what the weather is like here at the moment, yes you're right, Rain,Rain and more Rain, so enjoy

So hoping you are feeling a bit happier now Jools but we all still want to know where you are staying Barbara

Edited: 22 June 2012, 20:57
Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
24 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worried now!!

Hi all,

We are staying in an apartment at Paradise Gardens 2, do any of you know that?

And yes, I have hired a car which will make it easier for getting around as I have a horrid hip problem:(

Torquay, United...
Level Contributor
289 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Worried now!!

Well fettas corner and muse cafe/bar is very local place to go . Not so many holiday makers but reasonable busy with locals. Which proves they are good places.

If you have a car, have a trip out to polis and lachci and end up at ttakkas beach. You wont regret coming. Have alook around the tourist areas of paphos ( as we do) buy think outside the box ( old town) for a good night out.

We went coral bay 2days ago and half the beach is gone. So dont recommend a trip there and currently looks like a building site.

Maybe varda beach ( next to thompson hotel) on coral bay road. Free sun beds as long as you eat and drink at the bar ( min 5euros per person).

Also free sun beds and ttakas,bascilla pool behind debenhama we found good for a day at the pool.

Be sure to try aliceland on the coral bay road. (quiet, but has great food and great views) just stop for a drink.

Hope this helps.

Also go to adnois falls and stop off at the restuarant just past it ( off the beaten track) food was great

Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
24 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Worried now!!

Thank you so much! This is fantastic info!

Really want to visit where the locals hang out, not just the touristy bits so the info you've given me is great.

Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
24 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Worried now!!

Hi Barbara,

Yes, feeling a lot better now thank you, it's always a bit worrying when you're going somewhere for the first time thinking it's supposed to be so beautiful then you read adverse reviews!

Also, have to bear in mind that I need to keep the teenagers amused too!

Get answers to your questions about Paphos