We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snakes!!!!!!!!!!!

cleethorpes u.k.
Level Contributor
341 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Snakes!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a real phobia about snakes (don't even like typing the name!!)

Can anyone tell me where to avoid in Paphos so I don't die of a heart attack!!

Coming in November so hopefully the weather will have cooled a little and they all emigrate to somewhere warmer!!!

Kent
Level Contributor
6,373 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Snakes!!!!!!!!!!!

that wasn't nice, wish i hadn't gone on here now!! never seen nothing, only the usual things, think your pulling my leg but still makes me feel sick

England, United...
Level Contributor
861 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Snakes!!!!!!!!!!!

I bet you are so glad that you missed the "Bird eating tarantula spiders" thread. ;0)

I went to Australia last year and, while out for a walk in the 'bush', was so determined to frighten away any snakes that I missed a huge spider's web stretched across two bushes in front of me. I walked right into it. My heart nearly stopped! Anyway, I didn't get bitten.

Edited: 26 March 2013, 23:34
Kent
Level Contributor
6,373 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Snakes!!!!!!!!!!!

bitten or not i would of died on the spot

swadlincote
Level Contributor
494 posts
Save Reply
34. Re: Snakes!!!!!!!!!!!

I was surprised too, fished it out of our pool one morning, it was dead of course.

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
784 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Snakes!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes I'm sure he is kidding you.

swadlincote
Level Contributor
494 posts
Save Reply
36. Re: Snakes!!!!!!!!!!!

I can post photos of it if you would like ,

Dumfries
Level Contributor
375 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Snakes!!!!!!!!!!!

Have been to Paphos 12 times and only once saw a snake.It was on a barren bit of wasteland and it took off when it heard us coming.

Edited: 30 March 2013, 15:30
Troodos Mountains...
Destination Expert
for Troodos Mountains
Level Contributor
1,121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
38. Re: Snakes!!!!!!!!!!!

In 5 years in a rural setting I have seen 1 black snake, now large hairy spiders that is another matter!

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
253 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Snakes!!!!!!!!!!!

First off let's clarify this snake thing. There is a huge difference between being scared/petrified of them and having a phobia. Those who have seen one and are scared stiff but still return to the same place again do not have a phobia. Those of us who like me have a phobia get the hell out of there and never ever return! For example I have a fear of spiders but a phobia of snakes.

We had a lovely holiday at the Elysium a few years back and might have one day returned but friends who holidayed there this September saw what they were told was a black whip snake on the footpath on their way back to their room from the pool. There is no way now that I would ever go to Cyprus again let alone Paphos! If we had been there at the time I would have paid to fly home immediately.

And furthermore I don't really care whether they are venomous or not - it is the sight of them, their movement and their skin pattern, that has me in such a state.

I cannot even sit next to someone wearing snake print, real or synthetic, and in shops I religiously avoid going anywhere near anything related to snakes.

So to anyone who however well intentioned seeks to reassure regarding snakes I would say there is no point at all if the person you are aiming to help has a true phobia.

Edited: 03 October 2013, 12:11
Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
43,969 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Snakes!!!!!!!!!!!

I have every sympathy for a person with a 'true phobia' as I have one myself (nanosophobia), however, I find your reaction to the fact that friends (not even yourself) saw a snake at an hotel in Cyprus a little bizarre.

The fact that they saw a snake means that you will never go back to Cyprus again ?

Are you going to move ? We have snakes in England too.