We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire without credit card?

Glastonbury, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Car hire without credit card?

We are going to Paphos next week and some others in our party have booked a hire car but have just noticed that there is a condition that states that they must be able to pay a security deposit on a credit card in the name of the driver. The problem is the driver does not have a credit card, and his wife does not have a driving licence! They have phoned to see if a debit card will suffice but they have been told this will not work as it is strictly enforced. If they have to cancel does anyone know of a company that offers car hire without the need of a credit card?

bristol
Level Contributor
190 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire without credit card?

There have been several threads on this if you look them up and yes you can do it. Elephant car hire is highly recommended on here and you book via their website or call them. they are very helpful and they require no deposit until you collect the car and then you can pay in euros or credit card. And no credit card needed for security either. They are all inclusive so no extras for insurance etc.

Just google elephant car hire cyprus and get the website. As i said they are highly recommended and i myself am now booked with them.

So dont worry it can be done.

Lucy

England, United...
Level Contributor
780 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire without credit card?

http://www.elephantrentacar.com

They will take cash but may require a credit card number as security. I would advise ringing them first to confirm.

In the past, I have been the driver and my wife has paid using her credit card so there may be a way.

bristol
Level Contributor
190 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire without credit card?

In previous threads it says elephant does not need credit card. But they can leave wife credit card number as security if necessary but dont think it is.

Lucy

London, United...
Level Contributor
148 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire without credit card?

Oops! Thought you meant could leave the wife as security! lol

bristol
Level Contributor
190 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire without credit card?

we are booked with them now and sure my husband would be happy leaving me as security!!!!!

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire without credit card?

Just interested. What do they require as security? There must a massive cash deposit or something surely?

lancs
Level Contributor
973 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire without credit card?

We have used Westend Travel for years now,never need a credit card,we always pay cash when we get the car.Michael ,who is the owner is very fair ,there are no hidden extras either,also they don't charge for an extra driver,we had a car in June this year and will book another for end September.

Have a great holiday.

Marie.....

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire without credit card?

Marie - So they don't need any sort of security?

What's to stop someone paying for the hire in cash, running the car into the ground over the Akamas or elsewhere off-road, and then dumping the car?

lancs
Level Contributor
973 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Car hire without credit card?

No, we have never had to give any security,we pick up the car at the airport,pay cash for it,and off we go,then we drop it back at the airport at the end of our holiday......

Marie....

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2,961 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car hire without credit card?

dont deal with anyone that requires a credit card i never have, there not a decent company if you cant pay cash thats my opinion, in Penera a couple of weeks ago we were walking to the beach and decided to check car hire at Platon, we could have one there and then but my licence was in hotel, the owner gave me the keys to a nissan note and said go to your hotel and fetch licence which i did very trusting