We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elysium or Amathus..cannot decide!!!

Which Paphos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle upon...
7 posts
Save Topic
Elysium or Amathus..cannot decide!!!

Right, i was going to stay at the Annabelle or Almyra because they were quite central but i think im going slightly further out because the Elysium and the Amatheus look a better standard of accommadation...anyone clarify this??? Do the rooms have WI-FI and a Fridge(Not Mini Bar)???

Im not sure which of the 2 is best location wise as i want to be close to bars restaurants and also take away places.

Finally.. how long does it take to get into the centre of paphos and the harbour area?

Any info on these properties would be appreciated.

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Elysium or Amathus..cannot decide!!!

Hi Ali,

I recently stayed at the Amathus whilst I got married in Cyprus, and I have visited the Elysium Hotel. Both are amazing hotels, and you would have an amazing trip at either. I personally prefer the Amathus due to its location. Its not that far from the Annabelle and Almyra along the same strip. Out of the backs of the hotels, where the pools are, there is a coastal walk all the way down to the harbour, from the Amathus it takes between 20-30 minutes dependent on speed. Its a lovely walk though, very peaceful with lovely views. I love doing that walk to break up the day. Elysium is the other side of the harbour further away.

I like the hotels along that strip - Athena Royal, Almyra, Alex the Great, Louis Ledra, Louis Imperial, Amathus due to the location.

I believe the Almyra is a very high standard of hotel, but is very much small children focused, although cant confirm.

Most 5 star hotels will have mini bars, not fridges, as it tends to be self catering only, however if you ask maybe they would empty so you could use the fridge xx

Newcastle upon...
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Elysium or Amathus..cannot decide!!!

Hi Strawberry.... congratulations on getting married!

Thanks for that info.... I actually like the look of the Amathus best where as my partner fancys Elysium!!

Do either of them have any bars, restaurants and takeaways round them without having to walk into the harbour?

Also, do they both have evening entertainment?

St Helens, United...
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
682 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Elysium or Amathus..cannot decide!!!

Directly opposite the Amathus is what's known locally as the 'Triangle' area for kiosks, bars and restaurants or turn right and there's a strip of really really nice restaurants. Its a very nice area and I don't think you'd be disappointed at all if you stayed here. The Elysium, however, is on the other side of the harbour with only a couple of places in the immediate vicinity.

I don't think either would offer free wifi in your room, and it'll probably be a stocked mini-bar.

The Amathus or adults only Athena Royal (free fridge here) would probably suit you best.

Newcastle upon...
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Elysium or Amathus..cannot decide!!!

Thanks for the information, very helpful.

I think we have now made up our mind to stay at the Amathus.

The Amathus gets good reviews and like you say, it is in a good location.

Thankyou for the help!!

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Elysium or Amathus..cannot decide!!!

Hi Ali,

We returned last week from the Elysium and had a nice time. But, I prefer the Amathus :) It's nearer to the harbour are which we prefer to the Tombs of the Kings road, where the Elysium is (didn't like that area that much - think karaoke in most bars, €1 pints etc)

Also had a couple of issues at the Elysium but am yet to get the time to write a review.

x

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Elysium or Amathus..cannot decide!!!

Good choice, love the Amathus, and would go back to that area in heart beat. Some lovely restaurants right near by. You have Cavallinis which is Italian, which was lovely, and the Rib Shack which had amazing ribs. Was also told the Japanese was nice, and the French called Gabor, but didn't try those.

If you walk along the coastal walk, at the back of the Almyra they have a Greek Tapas restaurant that has a pier right over the sea where you can eat. Lovely place for a bottle of wine and lunch.

Oh and if you do stay at the Amathus, you must try Asiachi their Asian Fusion restaurant, its amazing!! xx

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
703 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Elysium or Amathus..cannot decide!!!

Alissa, would be interesting to hear what issues you experienced as I've just booked to go back to the Elysium.

I agree the area around the Amathus is better if that's important to you. I'm not planning on leaving the hotel so it doesn't really matter to me :)

I can also confirm the Elysium has mini bar but not fridge. There was enough room to put a few extra things in there though. Elysium has wifi in some areas but its quite expensive. Walk to the harbour from the Elysium at a slow meandering pace is probably 30-40 minutes along the coastal path.

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Elysium or Amathus..cannot decide!!!

Hi Bushbaby -

Our main issues were: Non hotel residents taking up most of the 20 loungers on the beach, who were never asked to move either time we were there. Every day, we struggled to find sunbeds by the pool after 10am, all reserved, but only 10% of beds had people on them! (have pictures which I will post with review this weekend)

Public areas full of badly behaved children, eg. I witnessed one lady in the pool get hit with a cold towel, you know the ones they bring round to you? A child threw it, it hit her head, knocked off her glasses and he hid when she turned round to see who it was. Children jumping around on the sofas in the lobby.

Then there was the lady who brought her 'Ped Egg' to file her foot next to us by the pool - how disgusting!

Moved out of the usual restaurant on the last night to the Mediterraneo and the buffet was really poor. We sat next to another couple who said the same. Greek buffet was the same as the Cypriot buffet, so why run them on consecutive days? On two separate occasions we were brought a bottle of Prosecco when we had clearly just asked for two glasses. A little cheeky we thought!

The breakfast area was busy at most times after 8.30am and kind of made you not want to bother!

Our 'side sea view room' was probably one of the ones furthest away from the sea and we didn't get sun on the balcony at any point during the day. The carpet in our room was not hoovered at all whilst we were there. Our neighbour's shower made the strangest noise which woke us up twice. The balcony was dirty and was also not cleaned throughout the week.

We didn't get much feeling of exclusivity or relaxation. Quite disappointing! :(

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
703 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Elysium or Amathus..cannot decide!!!

Thanks for the update, I appreciate it.

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Elysium or Amathus..cannot decide!!!

Stayed at the Amathus recently and it does have free wifi throughout hotel. You need to get a code from reception. Rooms have mini bars but you can also store your own items in there. I think the Amathus would be perfect. The Annabelle is located nearer to centre of paphos but has some poor reviews. The Elysium is further away from paphos. Hope this helps.