We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash withdrawal problems in Crus

Which Paphos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cognac, France
Level Contributor
107 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Cash withdrawal problems in Crus

Hi

We're coming over to Paphos for two weeks self catering. We will probably eat out at least 7 nights plus lunches out. Also want to hire a car for three or four days. Anybody have an idea of how much cash to bring? Are shops and restaurants taking cards or would they prefer cash? Thx for any info.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash withdrawal problems in Crus

you should estimate 20 euros for a decent - modest dinner

cars are about 35 euros per day and international companies will allow you to prepay from home

The situation will calm down after Tuesday when the banks will return to normal

Using the safety box in your hotel should be enough

If you are more concerned ask the hotel to keep your valuables to the hotel safety box

I am sure you will enjoy your holiday

Just take strong sun screen as this is most likely the only potential trouble you will have

notts
Level Contributor
4 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash withdrawal problems in Crus

We are due to visit Paphos in 2 weeks time for a self catering holiday.We have been in contact with Thomas Cook who recommend taking extra cash and travellers cheques,but I am concerned that we may not be able to cash the travellers cheques.

The foreign office have also highlighted the Coral bay area being targeted for hotel safes and hotel safety deposit boxes being robbed.I am anxious about the situation for tourists.

England, United...
Level Contributor
710 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash withdrawal problems in Crus

There are several threads on here asking pretty much the same question. All have responses from forum members who actually live in Cyprus. To the best of my recollection, none of them have reported any problems getting cash from ATMs although the limit for a single transaction seems to be 100 euro.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with travellers cheques. Thomas Cook might think they are a good idea but then, they sell them.

Troodos Mountains...
Destination Expert
for Troodos Mountains
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash withdrawal problems in Crus

The limit at ATMs appears to be for withdrawal from BoC and Laiki accounts reports say that other local banks have their usual limits and for overseas cards it depends on your issuer and type of card.

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
766 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cash withdrawal problems in Crus

I think now is not the time for travellers cheques for Cyprus. The ATM's have remained open even when the banks were closed so you could get cash. For Travellers Cheques you need to go into a bank and with the two main ones in trouble they are likely to be closed at times for staff problems.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
44 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cash withdrawal problems in Crus

we are going to paphos the first week in may,we take a couple of hundred euros to see us through the first couple of daysand the rest of our spending money in sterling.Don:t change money at hotel or bank use one of the kiosks near the harbour as they always give you a good rate enjoy your hols

surrey
Level Contributor
139 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cash withdrawal problems in Crus

Thanks for that. We are going first week of May also. Was a bit worried as going with both daughters and grandchildren and usually change up out there. I assume kiosks places will all still be exchanging. How is the rate at the mo. Probably about the same as here I assume.

Bettyhill...
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cash withdrawal problems in Crus

Hi

Where exactly are these kiosks....are they named ??

Cheers

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
44 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cash withdrawal problems in Crus

hi rockchappa,there is a kiosk opposite alexander the great but they sometimes charge commisioni if you walk down towards the harbour from there you will see notices outside the shops telling you the rates they are paying and are commision free have a good time

Bettyhill...
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cash withdrawal problems in Crus

Thanks molly b for the info.

Can't wait for some fun in the sun.

Cheers