We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water!

Which Paphos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Yorkshire
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Water!

Hi . Can anyone tell me if it's safe to drink the tap water in the Paphos area? Thanks, Peter

Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
for Larnaka City, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
5,985 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water!

Hi, you should have a separate tap for drinking water, its tastes weird but it is safe to drink but not for babies because of the high mineral content. most tourist buy bottled water it tastes better.

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
771 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water!

Try the tap water first. It is usually a better quality than in the UK. It is just what you get used to.

I remember in the Troodos mountains asking for bottled water for my grand daughter and getting the amused reply "the tap water is coming from same source so why pay". She never had any problems with the water.

England, United...
Level Contributor
711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water!

We've never have a problem drinking the tap water anywhere in we have been Cyprus, Paphos included.

Ashington, United...
Level Contributor
87 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water!

Yes one is washing dishes the other is for drinking as a rule.

Paphos, Cyprus
Level Contributor
199 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water!

I find it to be perfectly good to drink!

Yorkshire/Paphos
Level Contributor
283 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Water!

The difference between the 'drinking' and 'washing' water is usually that the 'drinking' normally comes direct from the mains, whilst the 'washing' water may have spent some time in a tank e.g. on the roof.

Most places storage facilities for times of drought and water cuts - not a problem at the moment, with 7 of the reservoirs still overflowing.

Otherwise, the point is that most Cyprus water comes through limestone so is 'hard' water. People from London will not be at all surprised or put out. People from 'soft' water areas of Britain may not like it so much. It furs up kettles, irons, washing machines etc.

Some places have water treatment systems to filter out the calcium but it depends where you are as to what you get.

Just think like a Londoner!

CL

Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
for Larnaka City, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
5,985 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Water!

Hi, yes we live in an area where we must have the softest water in the UK. I do use the drinking tap water for making coffee in Cyprus or teeth cleaning but I buy bottled for drinking on its own.

8. Re: Water!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2014, 07:18