We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cyprus/Paphos and Cats - Any problems at Athena Royal Beach...

West Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cyprus/Paphos and Cats - Any problems at Athena Royal Beach...

My husband and I have booked a holiday at the Athena Royal Beach Hotel in Cyprus (Paphos). I noticed on a lot of the hotel reviews for paphos that there were a lot of mentions of feral cats being something of a nuisance, especially at meal times.

Whilst there were no such comments about the Athena Royal Beach, I wondered if anyone had stayed there before and might be able to give me the lowdown as to whether it is overrun by cats?

I'm certainly not a cat hater, but I'm not wildly enthused at the prospect of loads of feral cats roaming around the hotel!

Can anyone help out, so that at least I know what to expect!

uk
Level Contributor
343 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cyprus/Paphos and Cats - Any problems at Athena Royal Beach...

We're going to the Athena Royal for the first time this year, and have stayed at several hotels in Paphos over the years. There are usually one or two cats around, but there have never ever been loads in one place, and Yes, you usually see one or two wandering round any outside eating areas. We've never found them to be a nuisance, and will only hang around if people feed them - so really the fault lies with people, not the cats! We've never seen cats 'pester' .

I don't know if there's a 'season' for cats over there, but this is our experience in September/October when we usually go to Paphos (went once in July, and didn't notice anything different cat-wise!).

West Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cyprus/Paphos and Cats - Any problems at Athena Royal Beach...

Dear hornplayer - thanks for your posting, it has reassured me somewhat!

I don't have a problem with a few strays, as frankly you get that all over the mediterranean, it was just that some of the hotel reviews sounded really quite dire with regard to cats climbing all over breaksfast tables, going into dining rooms and the like.

As I said before, I don't mind cats, I just don't want them pestering me when I'm trying to have a cup of tea in the morning!

Ayrshire
Level Contributor
2 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cyprus/Paphos and Cats - Any problems at Athena Royal Beach...

Just back from Athena Royal. Only saw one cat which was chased from the dining area. Unfortunately quite a few cats in triangle area of restaurants. Dont let this put you off. My wife is terrified of cats but she still wants to go back to Paphos. Athena royal super by the way!

West Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cyprus/Paphos and Cats - Any problems at Athena Royal Beach...

Thanks for the posting - that is very reassuring. I am really looking forward to our holiday now!

Mile High
Level Contributor
516 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cyprus/Paphos and Cats - Any problems at Athena Royal Beach...

There's always a few cats knocking about...but then there aren't many rats. I wonder why that is?

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cyprus/Paphos and Cats - Any problems at Athena Royal Beach...

The cats in Cyprus are not a problem. They are not the normal type of feral cat you see around the med. The Cypriots love their cats and they do keep the snake and rat population down. They won't bother you if you don't bother them.

7. Re: Cyprus/Paphos and Cats - Any problems at Athena Royal Beach...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 01:19