We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cash or card to holiday in cyprus?

Which Paphos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
cash or card to holiday in cyprus?

Hi going to Cyprus next week, with the banking crisis recently not sure whether to take all euros in cash or pre-payment credit card? Any tips please

England, United...
Level Contributor
694 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cash or card to holiday in cyprus?

By all accounts there is money in the ATMs and businesses are accepting cards as usual.

london
Level Contributor
145 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cash or card to holiday in cyprus?

Hi

We are also going to Cyprus next week and thought Id just share a bit of info in case.We go to Cyprus every year and love it so keep up to date with news on the ex pats website.What I had not realised before I booked is that May 1 is a national holiday and the 3-6 is Greek Easter[more important than Xmas].This means that banks may well be shut for quite a few days so everyone will be trying the ATM's.According to the website they sometimes run short of money at these times and no one seems sure if they are regularly filled.If I was you I wouldn't rely on being able to get hold of money like this 100% .nothing is worse than running out of cash on holiday.Likewise I don't know what the position will be if you want to hire a car etc whether they will want cash.Of course you have to weigh this up with how secure your accommodation is i.e.use of safety deposit box if you take cash and whether you're happy to carry cash around .As a rule Cyprus is very safe and the Cypriots are lovely people but like the rest of the world times are changing and you need to ensure your money is safe.

At least the weather looks like it's going to be great I can't wait.!

Holyhead, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: cash or card to holiday in cyprus?

Hello

I have just returned from Cyprus, You can use your c/c at any place.

Buying Cigs. a 2% charge.on c/c.

The exchange rate offered at most places is 114.9 euros to the pound.

Spending -- Food not cheap , Drink you can find a pint of Keo for 2 euros, most places 4 euros but half a pint is charged at higher price. It is not a value for money country for a holiday.

The Cypriot people are are very friendly indeed the friendliest place I have been.

I stayed at the Alexandra The Great, Very good.

Glasgow, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: cash or card to holiday in cyprus?

Hi logan23

I am getting married in the Alexander The Great next year, would u be so kind on giving me some info on the hotel, prices , food, rooms , etc what's round about , beach ? We have never been to Cyprus so we know nothing ! Apparently the hotel has has a refurb! We are staying in the cabana rooms with pyrite pool, x thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cash or card to holiday in cyprus?

I have booked to go to Cyprus in September. I never like taking much cash on holiday but instead prefer to take my credit card. Someone at work mentioned that a friend of her's has just got back from Cyprus and nowhere is accepting credit cards just cash. I am now wondering whether I should change my Cyprus holiday for another destination?

England, United...
Level Contributor
694 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cash or card to holiday in cyprus?

I think your friend's friend must be mistaken. There have been loads of threads on the same subject since all the fuss started.and the responses from people actually in Cyprus all say the same thing... as far as credit cards and ATMs are concerned, it's business as usual. It seems that everywhere that accepted cards before the crisis is still accepting cards now.

We never take much cash with us and generally rely on plastic for either withdrawing cash from ATMs as and when we need it , or by paying with a credit card. We have a holiday booked Cyprus in July and have no intention of cancelling it.

I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about.

Edited: 30 April 2013, 14:44
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
541 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cash or card to holiday in cyprus?

Hi

We are going end of May & October.....intention is to take enough Euro's for the first few days and then use ATM as required.

Paphos, Cyprus
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: cash or card to holiday in cyprus?

I live in Paphos and work in a hotel, like all local businesses here we accept both cash and credit cards. There are no problems at all and even on bank holidays there is money into the ATM as it is checked regularly by emergency staff. So don't you worry and enjoy our lovely island, weather is nice and warm. Stop listening to people and media trust the locals and contact your hotel who will tell you the same I have just said.

9. Re: cash or card to holiday in cyprus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2014, 06:19