We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from Paphos. A few thoughts.

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Just back from Paphos. A few thoughts.

Just got back from 3 weeks in Paphos and I thought that I would post a few things before I forget.

This was our first time in Cyprus for a holiday and we were a bit apprehensive about what we might find, we should not have been worried, we had just the best holiday of our lives. We are a retired couple and have been to most European holiday destination. My wife's brother has been going to Paphos for the past 20 years and now we know why. Having just retired we were looking to relax, get some Vitamin D and have a bit of fun, we were not disappointed.

Flight Out and Back. Went with Easyjet from Luton. No problems whatsoever. Both journeys were straightforward and enjoyable. Just make sure that you get to the airport with time to spare.

Accommodation. We rented a private house with a shared pool. Some of the neighbours were holidaymakers like us whilst others were residents. They were all great people, very helpful with bus routes, shortcuts, good places to go, etc. If you are thinking of self catering private rental then try negotiating / bartering the price, it is a buyers market at the moment.

Shopping (Food). Use the local supermarkets / fruit and veg markets. There is a great choice of locally grown food in Paphos. Some of it may not be what we normally get in UK supermarkets (knobbly mis-shapen tomatoes and potatoes, green pumpkins, white beans) but it is all great fresh food, we loved it. try the local burgers and sausages as well. We even got some lemons and apricots from our neighbours, straight off the trees, delicious. Grab a melon from the Van-man whenever you have the chance.

Eating out. We did in fact do the "tourist" thing of an all day breakfast (at Tea for Two) and a Sunday Roast (at First and Last) and they were both delicious. Worth every penny. BUT we also did a lot of eating in Cypriot restaurants and snack bars. We tried anything and everything. (Theos and the Pelican by the harbour, Cleos Chinese and Laona in the "old" town. Some of the best food can be found in the small snack bars that have no menu and cater for the local inhabitants. Good fresh food at low, low prices.

Car Hire. If you can, get a car for at least one day and go out to some of the villages nearby (Emba, Tala). Well worth the effort. We went to one of the monasteries and also to Polis and Latchi.

Excursions. Did a few days out. Hired a car and went to Polis and also Limassol. Stevie's Safari. Day trip to Nicosia. Georges Fun Bus. Wave Dancer afternoon BBQ. Was not disappointed by any of them. Nicosia was hot and there is not really much to see (same goes for Limassol) but they were both good journeys. Afternoon boat trip was really good, food and entertainment were exceptional. Stevie's Safari (lots of bumpy off road stuff) was excellent but the highlight was GEORGE and his FUN BUS. Absolutely brilliant. Best day of the holiday.

Nights Life (sometimes day life as well). We went to: The Rose Pub, Keg and Barrel, First and Last, Friends and Steves Bar (by the harbour). There are lots of great venues in and around, too may to mention. Shop around, you will find one that suits you. Friends was our favorite for entertainment value (some great tribute singers), the staff at Steves Bar is so very nice.

Weather. One word... HOT. Make sure you take lots of sun block.

Dress code!!!!!. We took far too may items of clothing. (dresses, shoes, trousers, shirts, SOCKS). All we really needed was Shorts, T-Shirt and sandles and sometimes even that was too much. Travel light and enjoy your holiday.

Will be going back again next year but for longer this time.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from Paphos. A few thoughts.

Excellent report.

Can you give an idea about prices? How much did you budget and stuff like that?

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from Paphos. A few thoughts.

We budgeted for £500 per week £1,500 total.

We were self catering so that included all our food, excursions, car hire, entertainment, souvenirs. In fact, everything. Came home with about £300.

Everyday items (toilet rolls, soap powder, tea, pasta, etc) are no different to UK but we bought as much local (Cyprus) stuff as possible which, in my opinion, is better quality. Imported stuff is vastly overpriced. Our local supermarket had a great range of fresh fruit and veg as well as cheese, meats, etc. They also did excellent fresh fish.

Excursions are what you get, some good, some bad. Shop around for prices, there are lots of agents along the harbour that are competing for your custom.

Prices along the front (Thoes, Cleos, Pelican) are higher but then so is their rent.

We had really great PIE & CHIPS just opposite the First and Last, 2.30Euros. Chips were luverly.

Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
for Larnaka City, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
6,250 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from Paphos. A few thoughts.

Hi, Thanks for a great trip report I am glad that you enjoyed your stay in Cyprus and hope that you will return next year I think you have caught the Cyprus Bug Aphroditi has got you under her spell.

It is good to see people give a positive review on self catering rather than going all inclusive support the local business rather than the fat cat hotel chains.We also buy local produce it is just as good and sometimes better than imported stuff.

I second George's fun bus it is a great day out and worth every euro.I also like the rose.Julie

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
541 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from Paphos. A few thoughts.

Good report and can concur with much of the content. We were there in May...back in October...love the place.

We too rent a property with shared pool...very competitive...5 star standards...more freedom than hotel.

Also spend in local taverna's...local bars...shops etc rather than AI establishments.

Glad you enjoyed your holiday.

London, United...
Level Contributor
285 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from Paphos. A few thoughts.

Sounds like a great holiday - we are self catering this year and will definitely try some of the places you ate - I can't believe how much you fit in - We'll be pleased if we make the waterpark :) - After reading your report it has made me even more excited about our holiday.

6. Re: Just back from Paphos. A few thoughts.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2014, 06:18