We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

east or west.which is best?

Which Paphos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
east or west.which is best?

I have been to paphos twice now,and as the beaches are not that great there am thinking of going to protaras or nissi beach next year.What would you say is better?I really like Paphos,but ive done all the sightseeing I want to do on this part of the island.Been to Troodos mountains and Kykkos monastery,4x4 jeep safari,coral bay,Tombs of the kings etc.I am in my early 40s as is my partner.we will be travelling without the kids.We both like a nice beach and good bars in the evening but not niteclubs as we are past that now lol.Do you think we would like nissi beach/protaras or should stick to Paphos?

UK
Level Contributor
322 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: east or west.which is best?

If you prefer to spend your day at the beach rather than a hotel pool then Protaras would probably be the best option as it has the best beach.

Nissi Beach is nice but it's aimed more at the twenty sometings rather than forty somethings, the music can be annoying if you're not into that sort of thing, it's also a couple of kilometers out of Ayia Napa centre so if you get a central hotel bear than in mind.

There's a beach before Nissi called Sandy Bay opposite the Pavlo Napa Beach hotel which is quite nice.

In the opposite direction towards Protaras is Limanaki beach just up from the harbour, that's also quite nice, especially if you're staying at the Grecian Bay which has it's own private bit of the beach set back from the main beach.

Years ago Ayia Napa used to be more lively than Protaras, not so sure these days, I stayed in Ayia Napa last October (Napa Plaza right in the center, very nice!) and drove out to Protaras for a nosey round before driving down to Paphos for the second week of my holiday and found Protaras a lot more lively than the last time I visited about 6 years ago.

UK
Destination Expert
for Ayia Napa, Puerto Del Carmen, Skala, Cyprus, Protaras
Level Contributor
13,947 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: east or west.which is best?

Protaras is a family resort and predominantly based around one single strip. Fig tree bay is a beautiful beach & due to being family resort it tends to be busier than Ayia Napa in October due to half term holidays but Ayia Napa is a much larger resort. Nissi Beach is suitable for everyone and very popular with all ages and families. A far nicer beach though is Macronissos further up Nissi Avenue.

Excellent bus service too that runs from 7am till 4am during the summer season. So getting to and from nissi into the centre or beyond is easy.

Another area to consider much closer to napa centre is Grecian Bay Area, excellent hotels here including the Napa Mermaid and the Grecian Sands and Bay. Lovely small beach on the doorstep & a 15 min stroll into the centre

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: east or west.which is best?

Try Nissi Bay.

It's not too busy in the evening and there are lots of great Restaurants.

Yes, Nissi Beach is busy However there is a little gem called Landa Beach on a Nissi Avenue just next to Nissi beach. It's lovely and not too crowded.

I love it..returning in July for my 5th time!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: east or west.which is best?

Try Nissi Bay.

It's not too busy in the evening and there are lots of great Restaurants.

Yes, Nissi Beach is busy However there is a little gem called Landa Beach on a Nissi Avenue just next to Nissi beach. It's lovely and not too crowded.

I love it..returning in July for my 5th time!

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
153 posts
315 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: east or west.which is best?

Personally I prefer Fig Tree Bay in Protaras, it's a lovely area, lots of things to do, I have also been to Nissi beach a few years ago and although I enjoyed it I much preferred Protaras!!

Stay at either the Sunrise Pearl or Capo Bay if those two are a little pricey you could rent an apartment at Coralli Spa which is just a stones throw from the main strip! I have been to Cyprus 5 times now and the last 3 have been to protaras, love it!!

Larnaka City, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Larnaka District, Larnaka City
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: east or west.which is best?

>Do you think we would like nissi beach/protaras or should stick to Paphos?<

Since you've been to Paphos twice, I would suggest that you visit the Eastern part of the island ( Ayia Napa/ Protaras) so to get that taste too. And if you like sandy beaches, you won't find any better in Cyprus.

You don't mention the period in which you'll be travelling so just have in mind that it tends to get very crowded during summer months. Since you'll be travelling without kids I would go a step further and dare to propose a visit just before or after the peak summer months.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2,951 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: east or west.which is best?

Macronnosis beach up from nissi beach much nicer than nissi and fig tree bay i was on it yesterday its like the caribeaan superb

8. Re: east or west.which is best?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2014, 07:17