We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avis Rent a car, Larnaca

Which Paphos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brundish
Level Contributor
216 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Avis Rent a car, Larnaca

Does anyone know where the Avis car rental office is at Lanaca Airport, apparently it is not easy to find

London
Level Contributor
742 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avis Rent a car, Larnaca

Don't do it!

We recently rented a car from Avis in Paphos. I am a regular user of Avis in Greece with a 'preferred' card, using them about 5 times per year with no problems. Avis in Cyprus is a different ball game!

They are not based at the airport (at least they aren't in Paphos) - you have to look for a person with a clipboard who drives you to their office (only 5 mins away). The car we had was filthy dirty & covered in bumps & scratches.

We had to guarantee 1000 Euros on a credit card in case of an accident, there was a 21 Euro 'airport tax' and worst of all, you cannot give the car back full of petrol, you have to pay 60 Euros for the full tank, whether you use it or not, which we did not as we were only there for 3 days - complete rip off.

Apparently it's because in Cyprus they are a franchise, and it says all of this in the 7 page contract, which I didn't feel the need to read as I use them all the time!

AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!!

UK
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avis Rent a car, Larnaca

See "Avoid Avis Paphos" thread above with nearly 38 postings - different location but same problems.

Brundish
Level Contributor
216 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avis Rent a car, Larnaca

Thanks for the info we are flying to Larnaca and driving to Paphos so hopefully it will be different

Los Angeles...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Avis Rent a car, Larnaca

My only advice would be to avoid ALL big name rental agencies at the airports-most particularly AVIS. I had pre-booked on line and when I showed up for the car was treated to a simply pathetic list of reasons, mostly fake insurance fear tactics that doubled my on line quote. After a wasted day when I discovered what a car rental in Cyprus should really cost, trekked back to the AVIS office in Larnaca to turn in the car, listened while they told me that I would have to pay a minimum six day rental (even though they had assured me I could return the car whenever I wished and would only be charged for what I had used) I finally spoke very firmly to a nebulous voice on the telephone who identified himself as the district manager and finally escaped having paid twice the going rate for a single days rental. AVOID AVIS! there are a host of reputable small companies around. I say again AVOID AVIS!!!!

5. Re: Avis Rent a car, Larnaca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2015, 06:21