We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos in Paphos

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mosquitos in Paphos

Only 4 weeks and 6 days until our first holiday to Paphos (not that we're counting...!).

Just wondered what the mosquito situation is like out there? We have bought a small, spray bottle of insect repellent (30% deet) and were thinking of getting one of those plug-ins to use in the room overnight. Do you think this would be sufficient?

I've seen that the Avon Skin So Soft can also help. Which product is this exactly? I've looked on the Avon website and there seems to be a few products with very similar names.

We have been on many holidays and have, touch wood, not been bitten once before (maybe we don't taste very nice), but of course we want to be prepared just in case.

Thanks, Sarah

Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Mosquitos in Paphos

We've been here few days now and usually the mozzies love me but I got my first single bite this evening but don't seem to have really got its teeth in , thank god. We r four persons and only the one bite between us. So pretty good going I think. Having said that, I was on coral beach today and saw done poor lady scratching a limb with several swollen bites.

Also I've noticed hardly any flies. At any time if day. Get the odd one. That's good eh? Hardly any flying insects. Few feral cats tho. I'm not a cat lover. Enjoy ur Hols.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
46,744 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Mosquitos in Paphos

Sometimes the swollen bites can be sandflies rather than mozzies.

Some people have an allergic reaction to sandflies, me included, and they are worse than mozzie bites, everyone gets bitten by sandflies but it affects some more than others.

They tend to be cluster bites rather than one single one and mostly affect the legs rather than anywhere else - I discovered I was allergic in St Lucia when I had so many (more than 50 on each leg) that I ended up at the hospital.

I rarely go to the beach because of that but if I do I make sure I am away before the sun starts to set and I am paranoid about rinsing the sand of my feet and keeping my feet on the sunbed as much as possible.

I've never had a mozzie bite in Cyprus - I take Vitamin B supplement 7 days before I go - and I wonder if some of the stories that people have about 'being eaten alive by mozzies' is actually sandfly bites. Mozzies bites are usually single and I accept that people may get more than one but if there are lots, in clusters, after a day at the beach then sandflies may be to blame.

They hurt rather than itch and make you feel ill. Antihistamine ointment and tablets is the best cure for them.

Mentioned in this post
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Cyprus
Cyprus
Europe
Peterborough...
Level Contributor
196 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Mosquitos in Paphos

Just got back and only got bitten once, but then we didn't stay near the beach. You can buy mosquito plug ins/ coils from most of those supermarkets dotted about or you can save a little and get from Jumbo or Carrefour.

14. Re: Mosquitos in Paphos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2015, 05:16