We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amathus Beach Hotel Closed Dec - Apr - Alternative needed

Which Paphos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Amathus Beach Hotel Closed Dec - Apr - Alternative needed

We booked our honeymoon with First Choice to go to the Paphos Amathus Beach on 21st March. Unfortunately they have cancelled our honeymoon as the hotel is going to be closed. They have suggested the Athena Royal Beach as an alternative but we just wanted to check that was the best choice as its a 4+ instead of a 5

star.

Can anybody help advise?

Thanks

Ann

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
231 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amathus Beach Hotel Closed Dec - Apr - Alternative needed

I have just returned from the Athena Royal Beach, and I'm presuming you are a young couple so I would say its not suitable! I'm 50 and my partner is 53 and we were the youngest couple other than two honeymoon couples we met there! The rest were much older and more staid and I was really bored. Now the hotel is lovely and it is spotless but if you didnt want to hit the town every night there isnt any suitable entertainment and the lounge area isnt very atmospheric or even the slight bit romanticso Its really only suitable for the granny brigade. I'm sure other couples will advise you where they have honeymooned and you will find somewhere great!

Buxton, Derbyshire...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Amathus Beach Hotel Closed Dec - Apr - Alternative needed

Hi Ann,

My partner and I were also booked into the Amathus from the 29th November 2006 for 1 week and we have been moved to the Athena Royal Beach. We have been to Paphos a number of times and the hotel looks lovely so we have agreed to the change although we have asked to be upgraded to Half Board from Bed and Breakfast and they agreed. The only other hotel we wanted was the anabelle as this is also 5* and really central. However, they seem to have jumped on the Amathus closing band wagon and doubled their prices!! With regard to the "age thing" there are plenty of bars/restraunts to visit to get away from the "Granny brigade" if things get that bad!! The only other 5* that they offered us was Coral Bay and that is quite a way out of Paphos.

uk
Level Contributor
343 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amathus Beach Hotel Closed Dec - Apr - Alternative needed

We stayed at the Athena Royal in September, and have booked to go back next May - and we can't wait. It's an absolutely super hotel! There were a fair number of older people there (it's an Adults Only hotel, by the way) and Yes, I would agree that the bar was a bit staid in the evenings, BUT there were also some younger people there as well - so it wasn't quite like an OAP club!! The bars and restaurants are within walking distance of the hotel - so just enjoy the hotel and take yourselves off out in the evenings - we did - it's all close at hand!! I wouldn't write off the hotel, just because its attractive to older people - at least older people are usually nice, and there are no hooligans or kids around to spoil things.

It's a gorgeous hotel.

By the way - we're 49 and 60!!

Peterborough
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Amathus Beach Hotel Closed Dec - Apr - Alternative needed

We were hit with the same problem, booked to have our wedding and honeymoon at the Amathus for Feb 14th, then told a month later that it would be closed and we'd been transferred to the Amathus at Limassol, with no thought to the wedding!

We have now re-booked at the Athena Beach as we are travelling with our 4 children. We had similar worries about it being 4* rather than 5* but the reviews are good and it seems to be fairly central and has good leisure facilities (essentiaal for our teenagers!).

Good Luck,

Jane

5. Re: Amathus Beach Hotel Closed Dec - Apr - Alternative needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 09:17