We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Wine??

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Which Wine??

Hi,

I have also posted this on the Cyprus forum but thought I would try here as well as you have all been helpful with my other questions.

We are getting married at Capo bay Hotel on 1st June and need to choose a white and red wine to go with our Meze menu.

The hotel have sent their wine list but we are having problmes finding any in the UK to try.

Can anyone recommend a good Red and White wine and also if there are any Cypriot wines to steer clear of......

Does anyone know anything about the local Sparkling wine? it is around £15 CYP a bottle in the hotel compared to £52 CYP for Moet....

Thanks for any help or advise.

CYPRUS
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Wine??

The £15.00 price tag for the bubbly is a bit steep for the local 'Duc de Nicosie'. it is drinkable and good for toasts, but if you drink regularly the stuff you will not find it great. If only one bottle fine, but if you are having more than one, tell the hotel to give you a couple free depending on how much to consume. £52.00 Moet is decent for it..

Good wines are the Kyperounta winery: Andesitis & Petritis, from KEO the Cabernet Sauvignon and the Ktima Malia red & white, the red Orpheo Negro.

Passable are the Aphrodite & Othello, depending on budget those last are good value for the £

I wouldd not spend the extra for Nefeli, Alkion or Thisbe

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Wine??

Thanks for your reply.

The list from the hotel includes the wines below that you have mentioned plus loads of others you haven't, we aren't bothered about buying the more expensive if it really is nicer to drink.

Which would you go for??

White

Aphrodite - £7.95

Thisbe - £9.95

Petritis - £11.50

Red

Othello £7.95

Andesitis £12.00

Othello Vintage £12.00

Derbyshire England
Level Contributor
416 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Wine??

HI welly172

I cant speak for the red wine, cos I always just ask for the house wine, which is always very nice., but with regards to the white wine, if it is to be consumed in large quantities (i.e. a wedding) , then I would definately go for the Thisbe.......its a lovely light refreshing quaffing(sp?) wine, not too heavy, not to sweet, just a very nice medium dry white wine........and it wont give you a headache....

You can get Thisbe, but I've only ever managed to order it through 'Oddbins'.

£9.95 seems a bit steep though.its only about £4 in the supermarket........

But, you have picked a fantastic venue for your wedding...the Capo Bay is my favourite hotel in Protaras........we are going on 3rd June!

Have a lovely day and enjoy it........Congratulations

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Wine??

Salsalady,

Thanks for the advise on the white wine.

Enjoy your holiday as well. We may well see you around the pool as we are there until the 10th.

Ramsey, United...
Level Contributor
465 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Wine??

Only ever had White wine my fav is St Helarion not usualy expensive.

Mile High
Level Contributor
516 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Wine??

I have found wines to be very sweet in Cyprus. I usually stick to Thisbe if I am going to have a bottle of wine with a meal

Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Wine??

Othello is CYP1.95 in the supermarkets! We paid CYP4.00 in a village restaurant this week and it was CYP5.00 in a Fig Tree Bay restaurant today.

So CYP7.95 is a little bit greedy!

8. Re: Which Wine??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 06:27
Get answers to your questions about Paralimni
Recent Conversations