We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to go. polis or latchi?

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
where to go. polis or latchi?

Can anyone please help us to decide on which place to go.

We are going at the end of august for 10 days. We thought we may go self catering this time as usually its half board. What are the beaches like? We normally go to Limmasol or Protarus and feel its time to try somewhere different and really need a chill out holiday

this year. We are both in our 50s are reasonably fit but dont want to be hiking up hill when the temp is still very high as it can be in late august early sept. We have been to pafos years ago so dont want go there either.

Please help We dont know were to go!!!

Look forward to any replies

Delilah94

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
784 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to go. polis or latchi?

Both have good eating places, but I think if you are not having a car then being closer to Polis would be better. The bus goes fairly regularly into Paphos and there are plenty of villages you

could explore in the hills to get away from the heat of August.

I stayed out at Natura Beach Villas. There were some nice complexes around Polis and the advantage of plenty of supermarkets, bakeries etc.

See which offers you get - I honestly think if you want a holiday relaxing and eating good Cypriot food you wont go wrong in either place. We walked from Polis to Latchi in the heat and spent about 45 minutes doing it. There is a bus as well.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to go. polis or latchi?

We have stayed in both places - Latchi is flat with most accommodation scattered along the harbour road., the beach at Polis is downhill from the centre(therefore uphill on the way back !!). We preferred Polis but staying in Latchi it was easy enough to grab a taxi or drive to Polis on the odd night for a meal.

Rutland, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to go. polis or latchi?

" the beach at Polis is downhill"

I have never seen a beach at the top of a hill!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to go. polis or latchi?

' the beach at Polis is downhill ,,,,FROM THE CENTRE ,,,' The OP mentioned she didnt want to be hiking uphill in the heat- the campsite and beach at Polis are fine but we have also heard people with young children say that the walk back to the centre in the heat can be tiring. The beach at Latchi which -IMO-, is not as good, runs along the coast road.

Edited: 01 June 2012, 21:40
Manchester
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: where to go. polis or latchi?

You have to visit Polis - it's an amazingly beautiful area of the country! And you must visit Moustikallis (sp?) for his garlic mussels. And everything else on the menu!

As for the walk up the hill from the beach, it's not that bad....and you can always call at one of the cafes for a frappe (the art cafe is particularly good for a naughty ice cream frappe!)

We fly out 2 weeks on Friday and I cannot wait! It will be my 3rd time there and we find something new or different to experience every time. We do have the use of a car whilst holidaying, so are able to go to some amazing places which are must see (Kykkos Monastery and what we call "Aphrodites Beach" - just down from the restaurant at the Baths of Aphrodites).

I cannot recommend this area enough :) We go self catering and I can recommend all the restaurants in the area - one slightly off the beaten track and never particularly busy is what we call Green Door - not sure what it's actually called. It is on the main road out of Polis towards Paphos - try the afelia :)

Happy holidays :)

london
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to go. polis or latchi?

Personally l'd say Latchi. If you've stayed in other parts of the island you'll notice that everyhing there is more expensive as it is a captive market. If you need to do any shopping get on the bus to Paphos, great bus ride and you'll save money.

7. Re: where to go. polis or latchi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 15:17
Get answers to your questions about Polis