We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Writing Research Trip to Andorra in 2015

Columbus, Ohio
4 posts
Save Topic
A Writing Research Trip to Andorra in 2015

Hello! I like to plan my trips out early and have as much detail as possible as far in advance as possible. My husband and I will add a writing research trip for me to the end of a guided tour through France and Barcelona in July 2015 (ends in Barcelona). My research isn't that deep -- just get a general feel for the country, sights, smells, and people of Andorra.

I have the option of staying in Barcelona and taking a couple of day trips into Andorra with Viator's tour (if more than one is needed). Or, I can stay in Andorra and get a bus back to Barcelon in time to catch our flight out.

My questions are these:

1. Are the highlights of Andorra small enough that I could get through seeing them in one day?

2. If so, is there a tour of the country that I could take from Andorra la Vella?

3. For those seasoned travelers out there who enjoy at least a 3-4 star American-type hotel, is it generally more economical to stay in Barcelona or Andorra (would likely stay in Andorra la Vella)?

Sorry for so many generalizations. Thanks in advance for your advice!

La Massana, Andorra
Level Contributor
2 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Writing Research Trip to Andorra in 2015

Hi

the journey from Barcelona is a few hours each way, so plan for two days in Andorra. You can get the bus from Barcelona airport (about 30e, book online, DirectBus), or hire a care and drive. It takes about 2.5 hours to drive in good conditions. Avoid weekends if you can, as the frontier with Spain can get very busy - people from Andorra go the beach on Fridays and come back Sundays, tourists from Spain come up to buy duty free goods on Saturday and Sunday.

I know the mountain bike world cup is taking place in Andorra next summer, so check on dates. You might want to see it, or you might want to avoid the crowds!

Andorra´s highlights are cultural (old churches, nice museums etc) and modern, eg the big spa, the ski resorts, and its lovely countryside. Sadly the biggest tourist draw is the availability of cheap alcohol, petrol and cigarettes, none of which is very pretty but does keep the economy going!

To stay try The Andorra Park (actually 5 star but very reasonable) in the centre of town. Watch out for hotels that charge you for parking, some do and some don´t.

Hope this helps

La Massana, Andorra
Level Contributor
2 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Writing Research Trip to Andorra in 2015

Hi

the journey from Barcelona is a few hours each way, so plan for two days in Andorra. You can get the bus from Barcelona airport (about 30e, book online, DirectBus), or hire a care and drive. It takes about 2.5 hours to drive in good conditions. Avoid weekends if you can, as the frontier with Spain can get very busy - people from Andorra go the beach on Fridays and come back Sundays, tourists from Spain come up to buy duty free goods on Saturday and Sunday.

I know the mountain bike world cup is taking place in Andorra next summer, so check on dates. You might want to see it, or you might want to avoid the crowds!

Andorra´s highlights are cultural (old churches, nice museums etc) and modern, eg the big spa, the ski resorts, and its lovely countryside. Sadly the biggest tourist draw is the availability of cheap alcohol, petrol and cigarettes, none of which is very pretty but does keep the economy going!

To stay try The Andorra Park (actually 5 star but very reasonable) in the centre of town. Watch out for hotels that charge you for parking, some do and some don´t.

Hope this helps

3. Re: A Writing Research Trip to Andorra in 2015

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2015, 06:18