We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting in and out of Monaco

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,276 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Getting in and out of Monaco

This might sound trite - it probably is, but I seldom claim to be profound.

We're driving from southern France to northern Italy at the end of the month and will be passing close to Monaco. Now my g/f who is a bit youmger than me, has visited more countries than her age, but I'm older than countries visited. How easy will it be to pop in to Monaco, park, maybe buy some lunch and then continue our journey - just so that we can say we've been there?

Any useful hints or tips (other than "stop pursuing pointless, meaningless results")?

It will be my fourth new country this year, but next year I've only got two new ones lined up, so I'll need some acceleration to keep on target. I seem to be aging very quickly.

Does Jersey count as a country?

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Italy
Italy
Europe
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
Jersey
Jersey
Channel Islands, UK
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,276 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting in and out of Monaco

I don't know if this will be any use to anyone, but we decided not to drive because the cost of a one-way rental was preposterous (one well known multi-national was asking an extra 512 euros!). Instead we booked tickets from Toulon to Monaco and from Monaco to San Remo (Italy) where we picked up our hire car.

No left luggage at Monaco Gare but you can leave bags in the Hotel Helvetia for 5 euros a day. We had a few hours in Monaco before moving on to San Remo. The cost of the train was probably not much more than the motorway tolls and the petrol and parking charges.

Mentioned in this post
Toulon
Toulon
Var, France
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
Italy
Italy
Europe
New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting in and out of Monaco

This is actually very helpful as I am planning to do the same thing (travel to San Remo to pick up a rental car and avoid the additional fees). How did you do this (train to San Remo from Monaco, taxi to rental agency)? Was it easy? About how long did it take in total?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
home
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting in and out of Monaco

Hi,

Can you tell me about the travel from Toulon to Monaco. I am docking at Toulon on a cruise and would like to visit Monaco but cant seem to find any transport info.

Thanks

Tracy

Mentioned in this post
Toulon
Toulon
Var, France
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
Monaco
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting in and out of Monaco

You should probably post in the Toulon forum. The train journey from Toulon to Monaco takes about 2 1/2 hours but I don't know where the railway station is in Toulon. If the cruise ship does an organized tour, you may be better taking that.

Mentioned in this post
Toulon
Toulon
Var, France
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
5. Re: Getting in and out of Monaco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2009, 05:43