We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to break a journey

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to break a journey

We are in the very early planning stages of a trip to Italy and France in Late July/August 2014.

Our plans are to drive from Cinque Terre to Alpe d’ Huez where we will stay a night and cycle the Tour de France leg, then onto our destination of Andresy, near Paris. I believe it is a 7 or 8 hour drive from Alpe d’Huez to Andresy so we are keen to break it up and overnight somewhere so it is enjoyable rather than just a drive.

I am looking for recommendations of what areas/towns to consider as a possible stopover that wouldn't involve too big a detour? Also if anyone has a particular accommodation recommendation that would be great. We love great food and wine and hoping to get away with under 150 Euros, but I’m not really familiar with cost of accommodation yet and not sure how realistic this is.

Would really appreciate some ideas of where to research/look into, to make this part of our holiday rather than just a long day on the road.

Any help much appreciated.

10 replies to this topic
Paris, France
Level Contributor
979 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to break a journey

Just an idea among many others... You could stop in Beaune, which is a lovely town in Burgundy (Bourgogne, you know, the wine), very close to A6 motorway, with many hotels and restaurants. Look at this thread, for example: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187109-i1298-k684…

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to break a journey

I agree with Paul's suggestion of Beaune. Burgundy has great food and wine. It is one of our favourite regions in France. Logis de France [ sorry I do not have the link ] is a list of small hotels in smaller places. They are often family run , have a restaurant and can be quite reasonable. While we usually self cater, we have stayed a couple of nights in these with no complaints.

I am sure you know that picking up a car in Italy and dropping off in France will incur a fee.

Have a great trip.

Montelimar, France
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to break a journey

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

Hard to tell.So many places...

france-voyage.com/travel-guide/bourgogne-reg…

Another idea in burgundy:

Vezelay.

http://en.vezelaytourisme.com/art215-vezelay

Or,Noyers sur Serein.Worth a stop,anyway.

noyers-et-tourisme.com/english/eng_si_accuei…

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to break a journey

Thanks everyone for some great suggestions. They all look lovely and the perfect distance, now we just have to choose between them :) I think i'm leaning towards Noyers sur Serein at this early stage. phirhon, re the car, we are leasing rather than hiring and will have it for our whole stay, taking it into UK as well. It's primarily French pick up/ drop off but has limited alternate options, ie Rome pick up and Paris drop off. It often works out cheaper than hire cars/trains/flights for stays over 21 days and has other benefits too. Looking forward to more planning today :)

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to break a journey

Sounds like a great trip. We have leased but always picked up and dropped off in France.

Noyers sur Serein is a lovely village. We bought some delicious terrine from a charcuterie there in 2006. It is a pity you do not have more time as there is lots to see in that area - Abbaye de Fontenay, Vezelay, Flavigny, Semur en Auxois.

Good luck with the planning. That is half the fun. I love the feeling of anticipation as the trip approaches. We are in the process of planning and booking gites for ten weeks in France next year.

Happy travels.

Oz en Oisans, France
Level Contributor
613 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to break a journey

It would be such a shame to come to the French Alps an just cycle the 21 bends at Alpe d'Huez.( which I assume you mean when you say the TdF leg?)

They may be famous and need to be ticked off the list, but they are not an interesting ride.

There are the other TdF cols local to here including the Croix de Fer, Glandon, Galibier etc etc. If you have time it would be worth staying more than 1 night and enjoying the fabulous views and rides.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,937 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to break a journey

If you will be stopping in Noyers-sur-Serein you can have a look at my photo report about exploring that area if you'd like. It has photos of Noyers, Flavigny, Semur-en-Auxois and several other nearby small villages:

http://tinyurl.com/6wtm6u5

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to break a journey

Thanks LeChateaudOz. You’re right, the 21 bends are on the bucket list, but I am very interested to read your thoughts. This trip is primarily to see aging relatives and to meet our young niece and nephew for the first time, so we’re a little restricted for time, however, you have made us keen to rethink our plans. Can you recommend any good threads or websites to get an idea of what we could achieve if we stayed two nights in the area and where a good base would be. Thanks very much for your help.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to break a journey

French_Mystique, thankyou for the link to your thread. Your blog makes great reading and the photos are beautiful. I’m now even more keen to visit this gorgeous area and re-tread your steps.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,937 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to break a journey

Hope you have a great time. :)

Reply to: Where to break a journey
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rhone