We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Monaco to Cannes, Nice, EZE and back to Monaco

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
From Monaco to Cannes, Nice, EZE and back to Monaco

We are going on a cruise in October and it docks in Monaco on 10/08/11 from 9am to 8pm, not sure if what I'm planning is mission impossible or actually doable. Any inputs or suggestions would be great!

So I figured I would start from the farthest and work my way back, upon arrival head to Cannes, then to Nice, then to EZE and back to Monaco all in 11 hours. figure 2 hours per town? Is this enough?

Also, what would be the best way to do this? public transportation or hire a taxi for the day? any idea of the cost??

Sorry this is our first trip to Europe so kinda of clueless here.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Monaco to Cannes, Nice, EZE and back to Monaco

I am looking for the same information and same cruise schedule for June 13 2011.

Monaco
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: From Monaco to Cannes, Nice, EZE and back to Monaco

I wouldn't advise doing this with public transport. It's about an hour by train from Monaco to Cannes, 30 mins from Cannes to Nice, 20 mins from Nice to Monaco. There's no train to Eze, so you'd have to get the bus from Nice to there, and the bus from Eze to Monaco only runs every 1h30 mins. You'd have no slack for missed connections IMO.

As a general guide, a taxi from Monaco to Nice costs around 70 euros. I don't know how much it would cost to hire one for a day.

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
40 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Monaco to Cannes, Nice, EZE and back to Monaco

Strongly advise against taking public transportation for the schedule you plan. It might be feasible with a private chauffeur/tour guide, but it's the same like trying to see all of New York in one day.

If you choose public transportation, skip Cannes and focus on Nice and Monaco by bus and/or train. From Nice, you can reach Eze Village and if there's no convenient bus back to Monaco, taking a taxi is a good alternative and not expensive.

June 13 is a public holiday (Pentecost Monday) and busses and trains will run on holiday schedule, i.e. not as frequent as on weekdays. Again, keep within the Nice-Monaco realm if you choose to use public transportion or take a private tour.

Miami, Florida
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Monaco to Cannes, Nice, EZE and back to Monaco

I would highly recommend Alain or Jean-Marc from Dream-Tours. We were on a cruise this past May and I hired them for the day. Jean Marc met us at the dock and we went to Eze, Nice (drove through), St. Paul de Vence, and, of course, Monaco. He took us to some incredible sites and his suggestions were excellent. We did a lot in one day and the cost was fair. If you can get a couple more people, it helps defray the cost some but we just wanted it to be the two of us in this instance. They will customize whatever you want. They are very friendly, reliable and knowledgable. Again, highly recommend.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Monaco to Cannes, Nice, EZE and back to Monaco

Eze is nothing short of beautiful. Get the 100 bus from Monaco to Eze Bord Du Mer and get the 83 bus into Eze. It will cost buttons. I've returned from Eze within the last fortnight and it is lovely. Go to Villefranche Sur Mer as well. Plenty of markets, beaches etc. I am so jealous of you!

Sail to Liverpool one day too. Visit the Capital Of The World!!!

Mick, Liverpool

California
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Monaco to Cannes, Nice, EZE and back to Monaco

Our family just returned from a Mediterranean cruise. Our first port of call was Nice. I had researched various companies and chose Dream Tours (www.dream-tours.com). Jean Marc Nicollin was our driver and guide and he was outstanding. We were able to customize our itinerary and Jean Marc had excellent suggestions. He is very friendly and knowledgeable. One of our favorite moments was in the charming village of St Paul de Vence. Jean Marc had just been driving us along all the roads where the various James Bond (and other movies) had been filmed when we stopped for lunch at a little restaurant the village. There, sitting right behind us, was Roger Moore (James Bond #2). It was a fun moment and the kids couldn't wait to get home and watch the James Bond movies he was in. We drove through Nice along the promenade and drove through Monaco. We did not choose to stop in Monaco, as we preferred to spend more time in Eze and St Paul de Vence. Dream Tours will customize your trip and will tell you what you will be able to fit into your day. I cannot say enough good things about Dream-Tours and our day spent with Jean Marc. When I booked our tour through them I requested Jean-Marc because I had read great reviews about his tours on Cruise Critic. I hope this note was helpful. Moakamom

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Monaco to Cannes, Nice, EZE and back to Monaco

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions, I guess I wont be doing mission impossible this time. I will be taking out cannes from the equation and probably go again someday and include St. Tropez.

So I guess Nice and EZE are pretty simple places that I can do on our own right?

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,033 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Monaco to Cannes, Nice, EZE and back to Monaco

Yes ... you can do them on your own via bus. To make more efficient use of your day, I would plan your itinerary based on bus schedules, take the schedules with you (to keep your waiting time to a minimum), and know the location of the bus stops in Monaco and Nice that you'll be using.

Instead of the route mentioned above (bus #100 connecting to #83) I would just catch #112 that goes directly from Monaco to Eze Village. Then take #112 or #82 to Nice and return to Monaco on #100 or by train. You'll get some nice views along the way and you won't be backtracking.

Rick Steves book Provence and the French Riviera has some good info for planning your day here. (I was able to borrow it from our local library).

We were in the port of Villefranche and went to Eze Village and Monaco by bus and returned by train.

Are you also on Cruise Critic? It's a sister site of TA and has some very helpful forums for cruisers.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Monaco to Cannes, Nice, EZE and back to Monaco

Thank you SusanM2004, I will look it up. No I am not a member of Cruise Critic, I just started being active here in tripadvisor. Just realized how helpful it is :-)

I will go to Cruise Critic now and become a member as well. Thanks again!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,033 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: From Monaco to Cannes, Nice, EZE and back to Monaco

You're welcome. I've been participating in a thread on this CC forum about the bus/trains: boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php…

Check out the other Med Port forums for your other ports.

Also if there is a Roll Call on CC for your sailing, it's fun to meet others who will be on your cruise, and discuss plans... often people who meet there will put together a private tour for 6 or 8 ... a nice alternative to the ship's excursions. We've done a couple of private tours with others who we've met on Roll Calls. boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

You might also enjoy the member review section where you can read reviews from others who have been on your cruise.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/

Last but not least, Tripadvisor has a cruise forum: tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g1-i10703-Cruises.h…

Have fun on your cruise ... we've cruised in that area at that time of year...wonderful!!

Edited: 11 August 2011, 21:06