We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel to monaco in may

Perryopolis...
3 posts
Save Topic
travel to monaco in may

we are traveling to nice from may 22 to may 25 and wanted to tour monaco but not see the F1. Is it possible to take our rental car to monaco on that particular weekend? Will we find parking for our rental?

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Destination Expert
for Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel to monaco in may

I have to say it would be quite pointless to come to Monaco on the busiest weekend of the year in order NOT to watch any of the racing.

Yes you can take your rental car to Monaco, yes you will find parking - head for Fontvieile or for the beach.

Perryopolis...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: travel to monaco in may

Is it possible to see the racing without purchasing tickets?

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Destination Expert
for Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel to monaco in may

On Thursday you will be able to sit in the Rocher area - the hillside directly behind the Rascasse turn - for nothing. On the Friday you can sit wherever you like and watch for nothing. On Saturday you will probably be able to see quite a lot from the roadside leading up to the Rocher itself (the old town where the Prince's Palace is located). On Sunday you would do better to watch on tv as there are very few places from which to get a free view of a tiny, really tiny part of the circuit.

The full programme of events is available on the ACM website www.acm.mc so you know what's on.

Perryopolis...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: travel to monaco in may

Thanks so much. We are only in the area Thursday - Saturday, so we will definitely watch the race. I just wasn't sure about the parking with so many people being there. We will go to Monaco on Friday or Saturday.

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Destination Expert
for Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel to monaco in may

If you come in on the coast road (it may be slow that weekend but it is pretty) you will be in the right place to head for the big carparks in Fontvieille, the area of Monaco in the west, closest to Nice. Head for the car parks names Stade (stadium) or Papalins; both are huge and very likely to have spaces. Monaco is very compact, so anywhere you end up parking will be within walking distance of the circuit. The Rocher is also in the west, but you need to skirt the rock itself to get to the seating area called Rocher - lots of lifts and escalators to assist you.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,375 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: travel to monaco in may

Personally I would not even think of driving into Monaco at that weekend even Friday or Saturday. As well as the busy Corniche roads Motorway exits off the A8 into Monaco are problematic at any time let alone then. I would advise you to take the train which runs at least twice an hour.

Ed

Edited: 14 May 2014, 20:40
Vienna, Austria
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: travel to monaco in may

hey,

i'm still not decided if i will drive (saturday evening and sunday early morning) to Monaco or if i will better park on street in Nice (is it possible / safe ? ) and will take train.

another question is if i can come to Monaco Saturday evening, drink something, then use the train to get to hotel but leaving car overnight in Monaco until Sunday evening.

thx for answer

Peter

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Destination Expert
for Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travel to monaco in may

There is no answer, Peter_flip, pros and cons to both and you need to decide. There isn't a great deal of point in bringing a car into Monaco at GP time if you don't need it, and the only reason to need a car is if you are planning to leave in the middle of the night, when there are no trains. But it certainly is possible to leave you car in a Monaco car park overnight without any worries.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travel to monaco in may

My husband and I travelled from Nice to Monaco on the bus today. It was extremely busy on the roads in Monaco and I expect it will get much worse. The traffic was at a stand still for long periods. Would hate to be driving in that.

10. Re: travel to monaco in may

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2015, 06:17