We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 Day Outdoor / Hiking Trip Austria

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
4 Day Outdoor / Hiking Trip Austria

Hi,

Apologies as I know similar questions have been asked but nothing to directly answer my questions. So my questions are:

1) Looking for the best place in Austria to go for outdoor activities for 4 days so not wanting to move about and waste too much time

2) Should I Base myself in one place for 4 days or travel around?

3) If travelling around is there good rail / bus or should we hire a car

4) Any particular highly rated hikes I should do - popular tourist ones with good views etc?

Things to note:

- it will be myself and girlfriend who are both in our 20's and relatively fit

- we are looking to do outdoor activities such as single day hikes (no massive multi-day hikes), bike ride, paraglide etc

- I'm currently looking at flying into and out of Salzburg (staying a night there) and then going to one or 2 of the following - Hallstat, St. Wolfgang or Zell am See

Thanks for any suggestions or tips.

James

6 replies to this topic
Vienna
Level Contributor
6,516 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 Day Outdoor / Hiking Trip Austria

Close to Salzburg:

https:/…summer

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
4,381 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 Day Outdoor / Hiking Trip Austria

Salzkammergut and Salzburg https://www.salzkammergut.at/en.

Lots of good high and low level hikes, paragliding from the zwoflerhorn St Gilgen. Lots of water sports in the area. Staying here means you can access Salzburg Hallstatt and St Wolfgang very easily

Vienna
Level Contributor
3,765 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 Day Outdoor / Hiking Trip Austria

Hi,

do you want to hike from hut to hut or just doing day trips?

You can do both here:

In the Nationalpark Hohe Tauern: nationalpark-hohetauern.at/de/…

at the Salzburger Almenweg, https://www.salzburger-almenweg.at/en

or at the Königsweg am Hochkönig https:/…hiking.html

all locations are in the Salzburgerland.

Best Regards

Claudia

Salzburg, Austria
Level Contributor
17 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 Day Outdoor / Hiking Trip Austria

OK, Sp if you'r flying into Salzburg and don't want to spend too much time travelling, then I'd suggest basing yourself in Salzburg. From Salzburg you could do the following:

- Paragliding on the Gaisberg (right beside Salzburg and about 30 minutes on the bus to the top).

- Hike up the Untersberg - also near Salzburg with the start of the hike only 20 minutes by bus from the city.

- Head out to the lakes where you can hike up the Schafsberg which has the most amazing views over 5 different lakes from the top.

- Head over to Koenigsee (about an hour by public transport) where there's loads of hiking and some of the most beautiful scenery you're likely to come across. Google 'Watzmann' if you're looking for a challenge.

Enjoy the trip. It's a beautiful area.

Warren

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 Day Outdoor / Hiking Trip Austria

First of all thank you to everyone who provided the useful information. I have now narrowed my trip down to staying in Salzburg for the first night then going to Salzkammergut area for 2 nights and then finally spending 2 days in Hallstatt.

Does anyone know of any good cheap hostels in the Salzkammergut area? Ideally I want to be close to Schafsberg / St. Wolfgang so I can hike and visit the lake. There may be a few friends as well so preferably somewhere social with young people we can meet and chat with.

Also any cheap hostels in the Hallstatt area? Again, same as above with meeting other young people.

Thanks,

James

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
25,499 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 Day Outdoor / Hiking Trip Austria

no, no. pointless to stay in three different locations in 5 days! base yourself in one location between the extremities. hallstatt is not worth spending 2 days in.

as #2 suggested, base yourself in the wolfgansee area....if using public transport, st gilgen is the most accessible, or possibly bad ischl. you can then do salzburg and hallstatt on days out. at st gilgen there is paragliding. at strobl you can do parascending (behind speedboat)

in hallstatt you wont meet many people after the tourist buses have gone. it is very quiet, not many hotels there so they do tend to be pricey.

for costs in st gilgen or bad ischl, you need to look up booking sites to see what places meet your budget. there are hostels in both st gilgen and bad ischl

Reply to: 4 Day Outdoor / Hiking Trip Austria
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted