We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

language

millville, nj
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
language

We are considering a trip to Paris, and Vienna. How easy is it to communicate in English and I assume the currency is the Euro?

Any recommendations on sightseeing,restaurants? Any places to horseback ride?

Thanks

Karen

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
21,952 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: language

Most people have a basic knowledge of the English language. Don't ask the elderly, it's better to contact younger people for help. Hotel staff normally speaks English very well, restaurant depending on location.

It's like everywhere - people having attended a higher school or university usually have better linguistic skills, labours won't really understand you. Additionally we have many immigrants which don't even speak German properly.

If you wanna know something, ask politely if he/she speaks English!

Washington state
Level Contributor
683 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: language

<<If you wanna know something, ask politely if he/she speaks English!>>

That is such good advise Mikey. In fact, next to "please", "thank you," and "excuse me," I think that is the best phrase to learn to say in the foreign language of the country you choose to visit. It just seems to offer the respect of not assuming someone else can or is willing to speak English.

knb97 -- just being in big cities, there are going to be a surfeit of people who understand and speak some English, particularly in the tourist service industry. Smaller towns and off-the-tourist-track cities are sometimes a different story

3. Re: language

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 14:19