We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salzburg to Vienna by Car

California
1 post
Save Topic
Salzburg to Vienna by Car

Can someone recommend a car rental company that will allow me to rent a car in Salzburg and drop it off in Vienna? ... a company that is good and will not rip me off?

thank you for your help

Mentioned in this post
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
philly
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Salzburg to Vienna by Car

I have been in touch with Andrew Bestor from Gemut.com Travel Services Tel. 800-521-6722.He comes highly recommended from this forum. I still havent booked my car yet , but so far he has given me the best car rental offer .I , too, am looking for pick-up in Salzburg n drop-off in Vienna.

Mentioned in this post
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salzburg to Vienna by Car

All international car rental companies can be found in Austria as well and of course they will allow you to rent the car in Salzburg ans drop it off in Vienna - it will just cost a little more.

Look at these sites to compare offers:

http://www.e-sixt.com

http://www.hertz.at/index.cfm

http://www.avis.at/avisonline/at-gb/avis.nsf?open&~Default

…europcar.com/EBE/…

Mentioned in this post
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salzburg to Vienna by Car

By the way...the fastest and direct train from Salzburg to Vienna (317 km) would take you 2:35 hours and cost 43 Euros/per person.

So maybe you should think about taking the train if you will not have to make any stops on your way. It is convenient and as fast as going by car. From Vienna Westbahnhof the subway U3 would take you into the historic city center in about 15 minutes.

Mentioned in this post
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salzburg to Vienna by Car

The advice given to look to companies such as Gemut or Auto Europe for best prices is excelent . Most say they get best prices and little extras with these firms rather than booking direct with major firms.

many postings on Trip Advisor and other travel sites by happy renters with good experiences.

You still pick up and drop off the car at a major rental company office but get a much better rental price.

Many find advantages to drive and sightsee along the way to be a fun thing with a chance to see much more of Austria.

The train ride does not really offer great scenery except that area very near to Salzburg.

Especially with 2 or more traveling together the cost can be equal or better than the train considering the added things available to you-

example a tour through the lake country east of Salzburg, Melk Abbey , the Wachau, Dürnstein etc.

Mentioned in this post
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Cy
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Salzburg to Vienna by Car

Check out Budget. From the big companies, they seem to be the ones with the lowest rates. We spent two weeks in the Salzburg area two years ago, and we are going back again this August. We went from Vienna to Salzburg (and back) by car and it is definitely worth it, plus it is cheaper if you are a party of two or more. There are a lot of nice places you can stop on the way, somebody already mentioned Melk. I would add Steyr, even though it's a bit off the highway it is definitely worth it. It's a nice little medieval city.

Two years ago, we booked our car from Carhire3000.com who gave us a car from Budget. Actually we didn't know where the car was from until we arrived at the airport and looked for the place written on the voucher. This year, I went to book with them again and out of curiosity I also checked Budget themselves. Well now the official Budget prices are about the same (even a bit cheaper)!

Mentioned in this post
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
827 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Salzburg to Vienna by Car

for what it's worth, I find that renting in Germany is always cheaper than in Austria. Usually significantly so. I have been doing this annually for over 25 years, always the best offer I could find. If anyone arrives in Munich, that's where I would rent. From there to the Austrian border is less than two hours by car at a leisurely speed.

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Mansfield, GA
Level Contributor
465 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Salzburg to Vienna by Car

Have gone through gemut twice and received great rates and service. On their website they used to have a piece about renting in Germany vs other countries and it does back up what the previous poster said about rates being cheaper in Germany but if you have to drop the car in Austria you would probably be better off to rent in Salzburg and avoid the drop off fee to another country. You could call the toll free number and ask Andy or Bob Bestor for the best advice.

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
8. Re: Salzburg to Vienna by Car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 07:22