We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel in Austria with children

Barcelona, Spain
6 posts
Save Topic
Train travel in Austria with children

Hello,

First of all, greetings to all, this is my first post here!

I'm planning to have holidays in Austria next July with my family (we are 2 adults + 2 children). We'll make the following trips by train: Vienna to Salzburg, Salzburg to Innsbruck and return to Salzburg, and Salzburg to Munich.

I have some questions, I hope someone can support me:

1.- I've checked On-line ticket costs in oebb.at and I've seen that the cost is exactly the same for 4 adults than for 2 adults+2 children. I heard that children pay half fare, but it seems 1-PLUS-Freizeitticket costs the same for children and adults. Does someone know if we can get some discount for children? Will the price be different if I buy the ticket directly at the train station?

2.- Can I buy a ticket from Vienna to Innsbruck, and then break the trip in two sections and make them in different days? For example, make Vienna - Salzburg in one day and Salzburg - Innsbruck the day after, with the same ticket. Is that valid, or all the journey must be completed within the same day?

3.- For the trip from Salzburg to Munich I'm interested in the Bavarian ticket from DB. Is there a DB (German Railways) office in Salzburg station?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Best regards.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,894 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train travel in Austria with children

No, children pay the half price. You need to go farther in the booking process to see the actual costs: 2 adults + 2 kids (under the age of 14) pay 125.70€. Price at the train station is the same as on the internet. I don't recommend to book in advance.

Wether you may interrupt a trip is a rather difficult question as most passengers buy the tickets for their exact trip. At least you MUST inform the train attendant, because he/she must make any comment on the ticket for next train attendant. Without that, how should the attendant on the next day know that you haven't already completed your trip as stated. Please ask that at a staffed counter!

If you wanna save money you can also contemplate the purchase of the EINFACH-RAUS-TICKET, a pass for a maximum of 5 passengers allowing unlimited ride on all REGIONAL trains of ÖBB. The journey from Salzburg to Innsbruck takes longer and you have to deal with less connections.

oebb.at/pv/…index.jsp

Please use search button for more detailed advice.

You can buy (special) tickets of DB in Salzburg as it is a valid station in both networks.

Barcelona, Spain
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train travel in Austria with children

Hello Mikey,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Regarding my point 1, I've checked the following: If I try to book the trip Vienna to Salzburg for 4 adults, the cost is also 125.70€, exactly the same as for 2 adults + 2 kids. That's why I was a bit surprised!

According to that, kids under 14 pay the same as if they were adults.

Best regards.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,894 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train travel in Austria with children

In your case you are right! But you can't say that children under the age of 14 generally pay the price for an adult. In this figure the group of 4 adults is eligible for a group discount, while the family is not eligible for an additional discount. If you calculate with 1 adult and two children it is cheaper than three adults.

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train travel in Austria with children

Are you spanish (or EU) citizen and get any money from the state for your children?

Then you can get a VorteilsCard Familie from the ticket counter for only € 19,90! Mind that you have to sign that you get any financial help for you children from the state.

With the VorteilsCard Familie, the adults/grandparents get 50 % off (from the ticket machine or online-tickets), children up to 14 travel for free, 14-26 (as long as you get money from the state for them) they the half price.

More info on the VorteilsCard Familie:

oebb.at/pv/…index.jsp

It's also a good idea to buy one ticket for the whole journey!

Mind: tickets of less than 100 km are valid only on the same day

tickets of more than 101 km are valid for 6 days

return tickets of more than 101 km are valid for 1 month

With any rail-ticket of a distance more than 101 km you can stop as often as you want (also no need to get a confirmation or so).

The EINFACH-RAUS-Ticket is no good idea for longer distances.

Barcelona, Spain
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train travel in Austria with children

Yes, I'm a Spanish citizen.

I've already considered the possibility of using VorteilsCard Familie but, according to the information I have, it's required to have a permanent address in Austria. That makes Vorteilscard Familie not suitable for tourists. Can someone confirm this point?

In case we can use the VorteilsCard Familie, can we purchase it at any train station and start to use it immediately?

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,894 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train travel in Austria with children

Well, all cards except the regular one for 99€ have a social background. Therefore I think that only residents of Austria are eligible for these highly discounted cards. But don't give up and ask a representative of ÖBB!

If you are eligible, you can order the card at every station or even online. For latter one keep a digital photograph available for upload. For the time between order and delivery you will be issued a temporary card that is useable with a ID.

Barcelona, Spain
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train travel in Austria with children

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

I'll try there and I'll let you know my results after coming back.

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train travel in Austria with children

The tariff regulations of the austrian railways ÖBB (only available in german language) do mention the following:

You have to get for at least on child the austrian "Familienbeihilfe" or an equal financial aid from the state if you come from abroad. The buyer of the card has to sign on the form that he gets financial help for your children from the state. If the children have another surname than the buyer, you need to carry a document, showing that the children are yours.

So as long as you get any money/help for your children, you can get this card. It would be discrimination if this card would be only available to Austrians which is not allowed by EU laws.

Here in Austria, anybody with children who don't lready work gets money from the state... so all families can apply for this card.

I don't think that anybody will check if you really get money from the state.

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train travel in Austria with children

> So as long as you get any money/help for your

> children, you can get this card. It would be

> discrimination if this card would be only available

> to Austrians which is not allowed by EU laws.

In the UK Child benefit is universal (i.e. all families with children qualify) so I guess that means anyone with dependent kids from the UK should be able to buy a Vorteilscard familie pass?

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train travel in Austria with children

smithstone, yes, that sounds quite similar to the austrian style system... of course you should qualify for a VorteilsCard Familie.