We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Austrian towns with views!!

Townsville...
Level Contributor
144 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
2 Austrian towns with views!!

Hi ... am coming from Cesky Krumlov on the train (lone traveller) and looking for 2 Austian towns to stay in before flying out of Vienna, at end of November.

Looking at palces with gorg views, that are easy to get to on the train.

? 3 nights at Innisbruck, and ? 3 at Halstatt

Previously I will be staying in Salzburg for 2 nights and Vienna for 3 nights with friends.

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Austrian towns with views!!

Innsbruck is really out of your way coming on the train from Český Krumlov via Ceske Budejovice and then Linz.

Take the train from Linz to Attnang Puchheim and then take the Salzkammergut train to Hallstatt. Two nights is plenty. You should visit the ice caves.

Then going back north stop off at Traunkirchen or Gmunden on Traunsee (Lake Traun). Again beautiful scenery. One night is fine here.

http://www.traunsee.at/en

That leaves three nights --- according to your schedule. You could go to Innsbruck via Salzburg, if you want, but it is really more of a "city" and the views and atmosphere you are looking for are not to be compared with Hallstatt, Traunkirchen, or Gmunden.

Why not go north of Salzburg (an hour on the train --- line to Munich) into Oberbayern (Upper Bavaria) and visit Prien am Chiemsee for a couple nights. One of Ludwig's castles is on an island in the middle of the large, beautiful lake. This is a very famous resort town for Germans and those who know.

http://www.tourismus.prien.de/

herren-chiemsee.de/englisch/…index.htm

One big hint: look at a map, before you move out on this trip. I say this, because you want to do your stops in as direct a path as possible (i.e. not Salzburg, then Vienna, then Český Krumlov, then Hallstatt, etc.). Otherwise, you will be backtracking all over the place. The way you described your trip in your question made no sense. And if you have an extra day or two, add it to your time in Vienna!

Mentioned in this post
Innsbruck
Innsbruck
Tirol, Austria
Linz
Linz
Upper Austria, Austria
Hallstatt
Hallstatt
Upper Austria, Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Upper Bavaria
Upper Bavaria
Bavaria, Germany
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Coconut Creek...
Level Contributor
157 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Austrian towns with views!!

My favorite scenic view in Austria is out of Zell am See. I have been there 4 times and have yet to see a more beautiful site. We go up on the ski lift and hike and have lunch. We were there on an Austrian Holiday and hundreds of parasailers were there. A great site to walk among them and be with them while waiting for the wind to pick up again. I can send pictures.

Mary Joe

Townsville...
Level Contributor
144 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Austrian towns with views!!

Thank you Castlebanca and Mary Jo - will have a look at those places you have suggested.

Dont think will venture as far as Innsbruck - Halstatt and Zell am See look very pretty.

Mentioned in this post
Innsbruck
Innsbruck
Tirol, Austria
Townsville...
Level Contributor
144 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Austrian towns with views!!

... thinking of breaking it up into 3 towns - one in northern Austria, mid, and closer towards Vienna.

Maybe Linz ..... Halstatt and Melk ... still lots of research to be done. Not into big cities (apart from Vienna) .... suggestions welcome for towns to stay in place of Linz and Melk. Yes, Vienna could easily replace Melk : )

At this stage Halstatt looks bful amd a goer, and a bit easier in train times than Zal am see??

many thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Linz
Linz
Upper Austria, Austria
5. Re: 2 Austrian towns with views!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2010, 06:19