We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do Not Use Buchbinder Vienna for Car Rental

Expat living in...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Do Not Use Buchbinder Vienna for Car Rental

I am currently on holiday in Austria with a car rental from Buchbinder. This company's response to safety and mechanical faults with the vehicle has been unbelievable and completely unacceptable by any reasonable standards.

I collected the vehicle late in Vienna on Saturday evening having agreed to pay extra for an 'out of hours' collection service. I signed the paperwork and was given directions to the car park. With two young children and their elderly grandmother it took about half and hour before we left the airport terminal and reached the underground car park to collect the vehicle - by which time all Buchbinder personnel had gone home.

The vehicle was in very poor condition, including a broken seat belt, scruffy interior, scratches and bumps all over the bodywork etc...With tired children and a long drive, I decided to take the vehicle and make the best of it. However, this was the start of a long saga with Buchbinder refusing the take responsibility for anything and expecting me to pay for mechanical repairs to the engine!! On their instructions, the car was inspected by a local volkswagen dealer in a nearby village. The seatbelt is to be replaced under warranty but I am expected to pay Euro180 plus admin fees for electrical damage (alleged caused by a squirral chewing the underside of the vehicle!). In the meantime, a replacement vehicle should arrive sometime tomorrow morning.

I am being held to ransom with my credit card deposit for accepting the vehicle, signing a contract in German and allegedly parking the vehicle somewhere where hungry squirrals seek nourishment from the electical components of a Volkswagen!!!

I actually thought this was funny until I realized the Buchbinder representative was unyielding in his pursuit of the claim for damages. He was not interested to compensate me for long phone calls, no vehicle for 24 hours etc. Indeed, I even offered to drive the original car back to Vienna after my holiday in Saturday if charges were waived but instead he prefers his Salzburg office to make two 3 hour return trips to the village to deliver a replacement vehicle and collect the original. Complete madness and absolutely no customer service.

Do not use Buchbinder - it might ruin your holiday as well!!

Vienna, Austria
1 post
Save Reply
31. Re: Do Not Use Buchbinder Vienna for Car Rental

Hi,

Totally agree with everything said above. DO NOT USE BUCHBINDER!!!!

In my case I booked online. First they sent me to the wrong location and then without any contract or specification they wanted a deposit of EUR 5000 for a FIAT Panda that probably did not worth more than EUR 7000.

They said this deposit is for all non-Austrians but were not able to provide any contract, description, reason for the deposit. They also were not able to let me know when the deposit would be withdrawn.

The girls servicing the rental were also very rude and not able to give any details regarding their requests.

So again DO NOT USE BUCHDINDER!

Vienna, Austria
4 posts
Save Reply
32. Re: Do Not Use Buchbinder Vienna for Car Rental

I've addressed info@vienna.info - Vienna's tourist info for help.

They are trying to get Buchbinder's response.

Please, if you was tricked by Buchbinder Vienna, email them and ask for help

Vienna, Austria
4 posts
Save Reply
33. Re: Do Not Use Buchbinder Vienna for Car Rental

wien.info@wien.info

Scotland
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Do Not Use Buchbinder Vienna for Car Rental

Exactly the same experience at Bratislava airport with the 400 euros deposit. We disputed the damage we supposedly caused and lost our 400 e deposit. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY AT ANY COST.

35. Re: Do Not Use Buchbinder Vienna for Car Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 October 2011, 17:05
Sydney, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
36. Re: Do Not Use Buchbinder Vienna for Car Rental

Unfortunately I have already booked!!

I have a question? It says snow tyres are 162 EUR each. But says on my voucher quantity as one. Am I going to be charged times 4 on these?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
816 posts
1 review
Save Reply
37. Re: Do Not Use Buchbinder Vienna for Car Rental

This article suggests using the camera on your smartphone to document any scrapes, scratches or other damage to your rental car before you drive off, so that you have time-stamped proof that you did not incur the damage yourself:

smartertravel.com/travel-advice/put-the-phon…

Edited: 02 November 2011, 14:09
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
816 posts
1 review
Save Reply
38. Re: Do Not Use Buchbinder Vienna for Car Rental

Correction for the bad link above:

smartertravel.com/travel-advice/…

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Do Not Use Buchbinder Vienna for Car Rental

Thanks everyone I have just avoided hiring a car fro Buchbinder Austria.....

I phoned my agents Car Trawler and they have changed the booking to Budget Car rental .... Phew that was close......

Valencia, Venezuela
2 posts
Save Reply
40. Re: Do Not Use Buchbinder Vienna for Car Rental

I had also a very bad experience with Buchbinder. To cut the story short they refused to accept my voucher that I paid for online (through the online mediator company that I ALWAYS use without problems), they wanted to charge me airport tax and 27% tax twice even though everything was already paid for (as stated on vocher) AND they wanted to charge for winter tyres which in fact as later I realized, were not even on the car... I returned the car in perfect condition but in the end they charged my account with 430 euros because they blamed a 'new scratch' on the drivers side of the car. When I offered that I have the 'new scratch' theyd ivented repaired for them they refused. Clearly they dont care about customer rights or reputation. Unfortunately I did not have time to sort this out while I was in Budapest and I guess this is how they take advantage of people. I am in the process of making a complaint with the consumer protection agency. By the way they have not even responded to my emails...easy to hide away when they are located in a different country....