We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do Not Use Buchbinder Vienna for Car Rental

Expat living in...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Do Not Use Buchbinder Vienna for Car Rental

I am currently on holiday in Austria with a car rental from Buchbinder. This company's response to safety and mechanical faults with the vehicle has been unbelievable and completely unacceptable by any reasonable standards.

I collected the vehicle late in Vienna on Saturday evening having agreed to pay extra for an 'out of hours' collection service. I signed the paperwork and was given directions to the car park. With two young children and their elderly grandmother it took about half and hour before we left the airport terminal and reached the underground car park to collect the vehicle - by which time all Buchbinder personnel had gone home.

The vehicle was in very poor condition, including a broken seat belt, scruffy interior, scratches and bumps all over the bodywork etc...With tired children and a long drive, I decided to take the vehicle and make the best of it. However, this was the start of a long saga with Buchbinder refusing the take responsibility for anything and expecting me to pay for mechanical repairs to the engine!! On their instructions, the car was inspected by a local volkswagen dealer in a nearby village. The seatbelt is to be replaced under warranty but I am expected to pay Euro180 plus admin fees for electrical damage (alleged caused by a squirral chewing the underside of the vehicle!). In the meantime, a replacement vehicle should arrive sometime tomorrow morning.

I am being held to ransom with my credit card deposit for accepting the vehicle, signing a contract in German and allegedly parking the vehicle somewhere where hungry squirrals seek nourishment from the electical components of a Volkswagen!!!

I actually thought this was funny until I realized the Buchbinder representative was unyielding in his pursuit of the claim for damages. He was not interested to compensate me for long phone calls, no vehicle for 24 hours etc. Indeed, I even offered to drive the original car back to Vienna after my holiday in Saturday if charges were waived but instead he prefers his Salzburg office to make two 3 hour return trips to the village to deliver a replacement vehicle and collect the original. Complete madness and absolutely no customer service.

Do not use Buchbinder - it might ruin your holiday as well!!

41. Re: Do Not Use Buchbinder Vienna for Car Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 February 2012, 16:07
42. Re: Do Not Use Buchbinder Vienna for Car Rental

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 February 2012, 16:07
Valencia, Venezuela
2 posts
Save Reply
43. Re: Do Not Use Buchbinder Vienna for Car Rental

Yes I just emailed the branch for a head office contact / copmlaints department. I also was charged 430 plus they wanted to charge for winter tyres which wer NOT even on the car. Im disgusted....

Yes lets do something. Ill keep you posted and if you have other ideas pls let me know...thanks a lot!!!

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Do Not Use Buchbinder Vienna for Car Rental

Those reading this thread should closely look to the nature of the posters before making a judgment on validity of comments.

Almost every poster has just joined Trip Advisor, specifically for this thread , and has made just one post never to return.

In the case of multi posters- most all only post on this thread muliple times - never to return on any other subject.

I do not wish to be susupicious , but when a individual posters come on this forum only for this - never returning again-

all with similar tirades-

Strange - that they can find this lonely thread and seemingly not checking the firm before useage or ever have any other inquires about travel.

Note the question of winter tires - not on vehicles- winter tires mandatory in Austria by law for winter driving-

November - April

makes me more suspicious.

I have never used this firm - no association with it -

but seeing this thread constantly resurrected from the depths of TA -

one must be suspicious.

Unfortunately TA seems , as it most often their nature to ignore or investigate this and other like subjects.

posters beware

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Do Not Use Buchbinder Vienna for Car Rental

Not really. I'm one of the many who complained and I'm still irate about it two years later. Just because I havent posted more than once doesnt invalidate my comment

San Ramon...
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Do Not Use Buchbinder Vienna for Car Rental

If you don't believe first time posters, believe this:

I tried to rent a car at Buchbinder Austria very recently. I booked through a rental car website which does not disclose the rental car company until after booking.

I prepaid the rental, which included everything, and received a voucher. I had used the online company many times before and they typically work with Avis, Hertz, Europcar,.... However, in this case I was surprised to see a non-familiar name, Buchbinder.

Upon arrival at Vienna airport, after 14 hours of flying, I presented my voucher at the desk. The staff was very rude to begin with. I gave them my drivers licence, credit card and passport. They made a CHARGE (not an authorization) to my creditcard and then asked me to sign a separate credit card authorization form for no clear amount. On top of that, they tried to charge me for items that were included in my voucher. For me, all this was a gigantic red flag. On an annual basis, I rent many cars all over the world, for both work and leisure, and have seen many oddities at car rental companies, but nothing like this.

When I insisted, they waived some of the requirements, but were clearly not happy. When I finally signed an authorization for a clear and correct amount (never had to sign an authorization before though), they claimed my signature wasn't really my signature. I showed them the signature on my drivers licence, but the manager wouldn't even look at it. He said he refused to rent me a car because I forged my signature. (Not sure how one can forge their own signature - if I sign it, it is my signature, period)

As I had a voucher, I called the company that issued the voucher. They asked to speak to the rental station manager. The station manager at Buchbinder told them a bunch of lies and the company concluded there was nothing they could do.

It is clear that as soon as Buchbinder understood I knew my rights and had taken note of their terms and conditions, they were no longer interested in letting me rent a car, as they wouldn't be able to gauge me like they do so many others. Probably a good thing given all the bad experiences I read about here and on many other websites.

I ended up renting at Hertz, with no problems at all. Also, Hertz didn't make me sign any of the documents Buchbinder claimed were 'standard procedure in Austria. I am currently trying to get reimbursed.

Moral of the story: DO NOT RENT FROM BUCHBINDER

Moscow, Russia
2 posts
Save Reply
47. Re: Do Not Use Buchbinder Vienna for Car Rental

My story was deleted? Surpised!!!

Ok, I will write it again shortly:

1. Took a car with good deal (at economybookings)

2. Everything was great with a car (good car, no accidents)

3. manager on return (his name was Issam) suddenly found "scratches" (i have photos of these so called scratches)

4. credit card was charged for 468 euro.

5. you cannot do anything with that, no arguments are listened

isn't it just a business style?

contact me at facebook (Alexander Makaev) if you want any details.

Why my story was deleted? I'm a real person with real story.

Hertford
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Do Not Use Buchbinder Vienna for Car Rental

The exact same thing has happened to us. We drove the car from Vienna without incident to the apartment we rented. When we returned the inspector found that some paint had come off the edge of the boot next to the door. We KNOW we didn't damage the car but even if we had the cost of repair would be low as there was no scratching or indentation. Our debit card has just been debited by 400euros without any consultation with us.

We will never use this company again

Toronto, Ontario...
1 post
Save Reply
49. Re: Do Not Use Buchbinder Vienna for Car Rental

.... you loosers ! I had the best experiance with Buchbinder ! You can not find a better car rental place, worldwide !!

50. Re: Do Not Use Buchbinder Vienna for Car Rental

Removed on: 04 May 2012, 21:35