We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do Not Use Buchbinder Vienna for Car Rental

Expat living in...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Do Not Use Buchbinder Vienna for Car Rental

I am currently on holiday in Austria with a car rental from Buchbinder. This company's response to safety and mechanical faults with the vehicle has been unbelievable and completely unacceptable by any reasonable standards.

I collected the vehicle late in Vienna on Saturday evening having agreed to pay extra for an 'out of hours' collection service. I signed the paperwork and was given directions to the car park. With two young children and their elderly grandmother it took about half and hour before we left the airport terminal and reached the underground car park to collect the vehicle - by which time all Buchbinder personnel had gone home.

The vehicle was in very poor condition, including a broken seat belt, scruffy interior, scratches and bumps all over the bodywork etc...With tired children and a long drive, I decided to take the vehicle and make the best of it. However, this was the start of a long saga with Buchbinder refusing the take responsibility for anything and expecting me to pay for mechanical repairs to the engine!! On their instructions, the car was inspected by a local volkswagen dealer in a nearby village. The seatbelt is to be replaced under warranty but I am expected to pay Euro180 plus admin fees for electrical damage (alleged caused by a squirral chewing the underside of the vehicle!). In the meantime, a replacement vehicle should arrive sometime tomorrow morning.

I am being held to ransom with my credit card deposit for accepting the vehicle, signing a contract in German and allegedly parking the vehicle somewhere where hungry squirrals seek nourishment from the electical components of a Volkswagen!!!

I actually thought this was funny until I realized the Buchbinder representative was unyielding in his pursuit of the claim for damages. He was not interested to compensate me for long phone calls, no vehicle for 24 hours etc. Indeed, I even offered to drive the original car back to Vienna after my holiday in Saturday if charges were waived but instead he prefers his Salzburg office to make two 3 hour return trips to the village to deliver a replacement vehicle and collect the original. Complete madness and absolutely no customer service.

Do not use Buchbinder - it might ruin your holiday as well!!

Wellington, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
71. Re: Do Not Use Buchbinder Vienna for Car Rental

Yes, our dispute was settled to our satisfaction through our bank and credit card company and the unauthorised charge by Buchbinder was credited to our account. See my initial posting No.68. We had paid the balance of our credit card account in full on its due date which included the Euro 408.00 as we were still overseas, thus the credit. I now understand that, at least here in New Zealand, had we lodged our dispute prior to the due date the disputed transaction could have remained unpaid without attracting interest or fees while the matter was investigated.

I believe the procedure that followed our lodging our complaint was that Visa International were to request Buchbinder to provide them the documentation to prove their charge was authorised and the reason for it. I believe they were given 30 days to do this.

Whether they ever did provide this I do not know, we were simply advised by our bank a month or so later that the disputed amount had been credited to our account for which we were very thankful for.

I would advise anyone with unauthorised charges to their credit card account to immediately contact their bank rather than waste time trying to get answers from the merchant on websites that appear notoriously difficult to navigate. Simple enough when purchasing their service but not at all when there is a problem.

I am sure it should go without saying that the insurance that would have been included in the cost of your car hire would surely have covered any expenses incurred by Buchbinder. Are you saying they have charged you twice?? Nothing would surprise me with this company. Please, please do not give up because I believe that is what they hope people will do. As ours did, your credit card company will surely fight for you. Please keep us posted.

Baltimore...
2 posts
Save Reply
72. Re: Do Not Use Buchbinder Vienna for Car Rental

Thank you for your reply - don't worry I am not giving up. The company we booked through credited my rental charge and gave me their settlement for damages. Now hopefully the credit card company will take care of Buchbinder - I paid the card in full to even though I did not have to just so I would not have any outstanding charges.

London, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
73. Re: Do Not Use Buchbinder Vienna for Car Rental

Same experience here - 400 euros of made-up damage, and the full amount deducted from our bank account without even the courtesy of informing us in advance. I can scarcely believe that this sort of s**t still goes on.

Wellington, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
74. Re: Do Not Use Buchbinder Vienna for Car Rental

I hope you will fight to have your 400 Euros returned to you. I believe that Buchbinder continue their shabby practices because customers do nothing and simply put these incidents in the too hard basket.

Waltham Cross...
1 post
Save Reply
75. Re: Do Not Use Buchbinder Vienna for Car Rental

I have recently hired a car through Muncih airport, we had a knock in the car which we accepted they would charge us 800 euros which would bw refunded by AE europe, but as a previous posting they have taken 830 euros from one bank account and 800 euros from another account. i have spent 3 hours trying to speak to someone from the company and emails but as yet no response. my two banks are currently dealing with getting my money back.

the service at the airport was rubbish, we were sent to a parking bay where the car car was meant to be and it was not so had to go back into the airport to let them know no one in the car parking area this was a pain as had 2 tired childeren with us.

I would now always stick to the big car rental companies

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
76. Re: Do Not Use Buchbinder Vienna for Car Rental

I have said this before and repeat again. This is just one of several threads on this subject.

I get suspicious when so many posts both pro and ´con are posted by " One Time Posters " They signup it seems only to make their post here.

Make comment never to return again. Some with more than 1 , perhaps 3-4 are only on this subject and made at various times.

Those seeking good advice should consider this.

Many large firms offer auto rental with a satisfactory history and name built over long times.

Cheap firms ? some may get what they pay for.

77. Re: Do Not Use Buchbinder Vienna for Car Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 March 2013, 20:35
Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
78. Re: Do Not Use Buchbinder Vienna for Car Rental

I also had a big problem with Buchbinder in Austria. They refused to take responsibility for having provided me with a car with faulty board computer (and no car owner's manual!!) which caused me to buy a new winter tyre at a cost of Euro 320 to replace a flat tyre which burst after driving flat for 60km (unnoticed because of the faulty board computer). Furthermore the car did not have a spare wheel but only the foam spray which of course is useless when the tyre bursts. Just in passing, the car had already logged 53,000 km and its tyres were completely worn out. To explain their position, Buchbinder said that they checked the tyre condition when they rented the vehicle. No word about the missing car owner's manual and the non-functioning board computer. What a grossly negligent behavior. NEVER AGAIN Buchbinder cars. Too risky and too self-serving customer care.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
79. Re: Do Not Use Buchbinder Vienna for Car Rental

Another example of the " first time wonder " posters on this and other similar sites.

Note that poster blames rental firm for him driving 60 k (36 miles) on a flat tire. How can one do this without noticing and then blame another for their failures.

I do not have any interest in Buchbinder but find the constant entries by most all one and only posters highly suspect at best.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
80. Re: Do Not Use Buchbinder Vienna for Car Rental

It is very easy to drive on a flat tyre -- because some tyres are designed to be driven for 20km (as the on-line owners' manual indicated) after starting losing pressure. If the board computer works, there is a light indicated low tyre pressure and the driver must immediately stop and either switch to the spare wheel or inflate the tyre with the foam spray. However, if the dashboard does not show low tyre pressure, because the board computer is faulty, there is no way that this emergency repair can be done before the tyre gets fully damaged. Buchbinder was grossly negligent for having provided a car without a functioning board computer (and without owner's manual).