We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Wolfgang, Hallstatt advice

Rotonda West...
Level Contributor
122 posts
291 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Wolfgang, Hallstatt advice

We are planning to be in Austria in September. We would fly into Salzburg, stay a couple of days and then head to the Mountain/Lake region. We are leaning towards St. Gilgen and the Gastof Furberg Hotel. We like the seclusion it brings. Getting to Hallstatt and other mountain/lake towns in other areas can be achieved via public transportation? What is the climate in these areas in Sept? If you travel to towns within Lake Wolfgang by boat, how much is the charge. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
21,937 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Wolfgang, Hallstatt advice

Weather is usually nice but can't be predicted. Everything between 10°C and 25°C is possible. Hallstatt can easily reached by public transport. You need to take regional bus #150 to Bad Ischl and then on by train a few stops to Hallstatt. Hallstatt's train stop is across the lake and linked to the town by ferry which meets every arriving and departing train. Information about ferry services on Wolfgangsee Lake can be found here:

schafbergbahn.at/media/sbbwss_tourismusfolde…

(Info on ferry services start on page 8)

Rotonda West...
Level Contributor
122 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Wolfgang, Hallstatt advice

Thanks for the info. Can you get around the lakes area via public Transportation? Do you know anything about the hotel Gasthof Furberg?

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Wolfgang, Hallstatt advice

Hi

From St Gilgen you could

150 Bus to Strobl on Lake Wolfgang

150 Bus to Strobl then Bus 546 St Wolfgang on Lake Wolfgang

150 Bus heading towards Salzbugh = Lake Fuschl

150 Bus to Bad Ischl then train north to Gmunden, Ebensee, Traunkirchen.

150 Bus to Bad Ischl then train south to Hallstatt and Obertraun.

Limited buses to Mondsee.

Staff

Rotonda West...
Level Contributor
122 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Wolfgang, Hallstatt advice

Thank You. That info will really help. What areas would you suggest as a must see?

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Wolfgang, Hallstatt advice

Hi

I have a bias towards Bad Ischl as I have a second home there.

But if you need to use public transport and want to explore the Salzkammergut (Lake district) Bad Ischl makes a good base. Bad Ischl is a historic town in the centre of the Lake District and sits on two rivers where three valleys meet.It’s on a main North/South railway line. Also has good bus access.

If you would prefer a Lake and you like peace and quiet you may want to consider Strobl.

It’s only a short Bus ride from Bad Ischl so you would be close to good train transport links. Also has easy bus access to places on Lake Wolfgang and Salzburg. The lake ferry also stops in Strobl.

For a busier town on Lake Wolfgang go for St Gilgen.

St Wolfgang is also very nice but transport links are not as good.

As for a must see

Obertraun Ice Cave and the five fingers

obertraun.net/publisher/…

Hallstatt Salt mines

Bad Ischl Kaiserville

http://www.kaiservilla.at/

Wolfgang Schafberg

http://www.schafbergbahn.at/

Staff

Rotonda West...
Level Contributor
122 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Wolfgang, Hallstatt advice

One of the reasons we were leaning towards Gasthof Furberg was it's location away from St Gilgen. If you were to stay in Strobl as you suggest, where would you stay?

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake Wolfgang, Hallstatt advice

The Wolfgangsee ferry stops at the Gasthof Furberg, so you can use that to get around the lake. That's a very pleasant way to get around, though it might get a bit expensive! Details can be found here:

www.schafbergbahn.at/index.php…

If I were going to Bad Ischl, I'd take the ferry to St Gilgen and catch the bus 150 from the bus station there, as the Strobl bus stop is quite a walk from the ferry landing.

I prefer St Gilgen to Strobl because it has more restaurants etc. Strobl is very quiet. But that may appeal to you.

I like Bad Ischl but it's not as picturesque as the Gasthof Furberg! I've never stayed at the Furberg but I have eaten there. You can walk to St Gilgen along the lakeside path - it takes about 20 mins.

I hope you enjoy your second home in Bad Ischl, Staff! Which side of town is it? It's a very pretty place, I think.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lake Wolfgang, Hallstatt advice

Hi Roley

We enjoy it very much. Makes a perfect base for exploring the Salzkammergut especially as we use public transport all the time.

It's in the centre in a very old historic building. In a quite courtyard.

Bad Ischl is a very pretty town all year round. Just the right size to have everything you could want without being too busy.

I mentioned Strobl as Travelbound44 mentioned seclusion. Strobl is very quite.

Staff

Rotonda West...
Level Contributor
122 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lake Wolfgang, Hallstatt advice

Thank you all for your suggestions and websites. It has been very helpful. I am hoping someone who has stayed at Gasthof Furberg will respond before this post gets lost in the shuffle. We have read reviews and their website but it always helps to get first hand knowledge and to be able to ask questions.

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lake Wolfgang, Hallstatt advice

I have lived in Austria (and am here right now). I visited St. Wolfgang and Wolfgansee once, and I swore I would never go back ---- talk about the crowds of people!

The suggestion of Strobl is good, but I HIGHLY suggest you go a little deeper into Salzkamergut and visit Bad Aussee and Altaussee.