We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienn to Salzburg to Prague back to Vienn by train

Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Vienn to Salzburg to Prague back to Vienn by train

Hello,

We will be in Vienn in the morning of Jun 25th, thinking to take a night train to Salzburg, staying in Salzburg for 2 days, going to Prague, staying for 2 days, back to Vienn by night train and remain in Vienn for 3 days, we have already booked the hotel. Any good info regarding night trains for this route will be very, very appreciate.Thank you all.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,894 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vienn to Salzburg to Prague back to Vienn by train

There is no real night train between Vienna and Salzburg as the distance is only 300km. Night trains ex Vienna bounding for cities in the West - which also stop in Salzburg of course - would deliver you there at an unpractical and inhuman time. Better get an red-eye or late evening service and book your accommodation ahead. The fastest train only takes 2h40min. Trains depart between once an hour to three times an hour depending on day time.

Edited: 26 February 2011, 10:02
Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vienn to Salzburg to Prague back to Vienn by train

I have found a way to buy cheap tickets for $29 euro taking the route Vienna-Munich and get off in Salzburg. I have found trains leaving Vienna at 23:50, 0:38, but I could'nt buy tickets for June 25th, probably it is too soon to buy now.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vienn to Salzburg to Prague back to Vienn by train

I believe you should better review your plans.

the 00:38 train does not go via Salzburg but via another route I believe

The 23:5? gets into Salzburg at 4:30 in the morning - Do you try to sleep in your seat during the trip

What do you do in Salzburg at 4:30 in the morning after little sleep and nothing open ?

as mentioned above regular trains make this journey frequently and certainly much faster and more comfortable for you.

Your plan does not seem to make for a great trip but your choice-

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,545 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vienn to Salzburg to Prague back to Vienn by train

Also in theory tickets from Salzburg to Prague cost €39 oebb.at/en/…index.jsp , but for some reason www.oebb.at is not showing the correct information for this route (does not show the 1410 departure via Linz, which in the past has been the only train on which the discounted ticket was available) and therefore the discounted tickets cannot be purchased - maybe they have changed the parameters, but I'm not sure - I think it is an error as the D200 Antonin Bruckner train from Linz to Prague doesn't show up at all, even departing from Linz. The German Railway website doesn't show it either, but I know that train exists, indeed it is advertised by Austrian Railways in a (separate) timetable from Linz oebb.at/en/…index.jsp ! www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php…

For a reliable and correct overview of times for Salzburg to Prague see www.idos.cz (English button bottom right), but unfortunately you can't buy the ticket from there - you will have to contact Austrian Railways directly and ask them what the problem is.

From Prague to Vienna it is €19 from https:/… - choose the English language version at the top of the page (little 'en') and print the ticket at home.

Edited: 02 March 2011, 00:34
Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vienn to Salzburg to Prague back to Vienn by train

Thank you Mikey for your concern. I will see what other alternatives are.

Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vienn to Salzburg to Prague back to Vienn by train

Thank you Vertical too. I am going to have a look at what GCEK said about train schedules. It looks like he has some more info about it .Thanks again to all of you.

Ava

7. Re: Vienn to Salzburg to Prague back to Vienn by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 16:18