We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much is English spoken in Austria?

US
Level Contributor
174 posts
How much is English spoken in Austria?
Save

Can I get by with little or no German/Austrian for one day?

N. Ireland
Level Contributor
157 posts
12 reviews
11 helpful votes
1. Re: How much is English spoken in Austria?
Save

No problem, everyone speaks english but I think it is good to have a few words in german...please..thank you..good bye !

probably stuck in...
Level Contributor
330 posts
2 reviews
12 helpful votes
2. Re: How much is English spoken in Austria?
Save

In short, yes. I agree that it helps to know a few simple words and phrases, and if you plan to drive, you must be able to read the signs, but most local schools require several years of English. As a result, nearly everyone under age 60 speaks basic English. IMHO, Austrians are more particular about the language. My German is good enough to function in Germany, but Austrians seem to take revenge (in a playful way)on me, by first correcting my grammar, then my accent, and finally finishing the conversation in perfect English. I'd be interested in what the locals have to say about this, as it has happened several times over the years.

© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.