We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting glaciers in summer

South Carolina
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
visiting glaciers in summer

Hello!

I am traveling with my family of 5 (my husband, myself and our 3 kids ages 11, 13, and 16) to Bavaria/Austria the beginning of August. From my internet research I have seen that there are 5 glaciers in Austria that you can visit in the summer~some you can even ski on. We are not interested in skiing while we're there, but it seems you can actually hike on the glaciers which interests us very much! Which of the 5 glaciers would be the best for our family to visit for a day of moderate hiking and incredible views?

Thank you!

Kim

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting glaciers in summer

Best glacier to visit in my opinion is Hintertux at the end of the Ziller Valley

www.hintertuxergletscher.at

open 365 days a year-

over 3000 meter altitude - fine lift system - snow and skiing assured - walks available - ice cave - a fine mountain restaurant with sun terrace , beach chairs and superb views

This south east of Innsbruck - access by a good road if driving or by public transport .

Bring sun screen , sun glasses - but pick a good weather day - and realize with the altitude a huge difference in tempersatures from the valley.

2. Re: visiting glaciers in summer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 02:19