We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Towns between Salzburg and Innsbruck

Reykjavik
Level Contributor
65 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Towns between Salzburg and Innsbruck

Hi,

I'm planning a vacation for next summer with my husband and 2 kids (they will be 8 and just under 2 yrs). We are finding that a lot of things we want to do are in Tyrol, but there is also quite a bit in the Salzburg area/lakes... We are wondering if someone can recommend a town (or towns) to check out that are somewhere in between. We will have a car. We would like for there to be a selection of restaurants as well.

Also, do you think it would be best to stay in one place for a 10 or so day stay or just plan on transferring to another hotel--maybe 5+ days in one area and 5+ days in another.

My husband is into mountains and glaciers and I want to go to Hallstatt, Krimml falls and various lakes. We would both like to do some hiking (with the kids, so kid friendly), our older son has requested a trip to a zoo and would probably like going to a fortress or Hellbrun castle.

What would you do--station in one place or split the stay to 2 locations? Any recommendations for towns to stay in? We don't want to be in a larger city, but want some restaurants to choose from.

Thank you!

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Towns between Salzburg and Innsbruck

Achensee - east of Innsbruck and just above the A-12 autobahn from Jenbach makes a fine resort area and base to explore the area.

The lake is the largest in Tyrol with nice villages around it.

Good opportunities for walking/hiking at all levels - family friendly - kids programs.

Boats on the lake - Cog railway.

www.achensee.at

close by is Schloss Tratzberg

www.schloss-tratzberg.com

fun for the entire family.

kids tours and activities

By nearby Kramsach is the Tyrol Farm Museum- old farm houses and a look to the former life - old xchool house - always an animal or 2 about

www.museum-tb.at

Rattenberg - a glass center

www.rattenberg.at

Innsbruck as you may already know has a nice alpine zoo-

Enough to keep you busy for 5 days or more in Tyrol - But I would recommend a move to Zell am See or the area of Wolfgangsee for your time to visit that area. the next 5 or so days.

Perhaps you could see Krimml on your way to this area - a scenic ride

Having this 2nd base allows for better use of time - visit to Salzburg too

www.wolfgangsee.at

Zell am See is near to the glacier at Kaprun- nice walking area by the lake

Wales
Level Contributor
155 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Towns between Salzburg and Innsbruck

The Stubai Valley near Innsbruck is difficult to beat; and close to Salzburg, St. Wolfgang home of the famous White Horse Inn is also a good centre. I am not sure whether they would suit your young family, Austria tends to be a place reserved for those people who appreciate the wonderful scenery.

I am presently in Bavaria, and it is worth noting that hotel prices in both Austria and in particular Southern Germany are half the price of the U.K. equivalent.

Reykjavik
Level Contributor
65 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Towns between Salzburg and Innsbruck

Great information. Thank you! :-)

4. Re: Towns between Salzburg and Innsbruck

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2012, 04:16