We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you wish you'd known before you came to Austria

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Topic
What do you wish you'd known before you came to Austria

Hi,

My husband and I will be traveling through Europe in the middle of the year. On the Paris forum someone asked what people wish they'd known before they came to Paris. The responses were wonderful and I wondered if I could ask the same question on this forum.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
816 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What do you wish you'd known before you came to Austria

Perhaps less than I did.

Sometimes I'm nostalgic for the way I traveled in my 20s – vague plans, no hotel reservations, unexpected meetings and misadventures.

I hitchhiked from Venezia to Amsterdam with my friend Ellen, slept on a much-too-short sofa in a hotel lobby on the Isle of Skye on a night when it was pouring rain and the hotel fully booked, and taught a shy boy (I was only slightly less shy than he) to dance in a bar in Busseto, Italy.

Casuarina
Level Contributor
322 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you wish you'd known before you came to Austria

I wish I had known how spectacular Austria was and I would have come sooner.

I have travelled all over the world including to Europe many times but for some reason Austria eluded me. I have seen many spectacular sites but in Austria on several occasions I was rendered speechless by its beauty.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do you wish you'd known before you came to Austria

Food choices are much more than just schnitzels - wide variety and at all price ranges try something new and different -

Excelent public transport in cities and country allow quick safe transfers Spend time in the country side too- completely different atmosphere. Try a local family run pension / bed and breakfast- not just economical but a small look to" local life "

No need to speak german- especially younger residents are most often with english skills. Most all will try to assist with directions etc.

No need to buy an expensive bottle of wine when dining -

excelent wine available by the glass ( 1 /8 liter )

do not judge wine by the price- quite often inexpensive wine is very good- just from a lesser known winery.

You can not drink the label -

no fashion police - white trainers can be worn- be comfortable - walking lets you see much more-

Get lost in a city - great to wander along the old streets - look up to the architecture.

Most others do not wish to hear your conversations - speak in moderate tones.

Tipping - no need to tip 20 % here -

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do you wish you'd known before you came to Austria

We wish we had known sooner.

How clean the country is.

How friendly the people are.

How many different types of cake you can buy.

How many different types of coffee there are.

How many different deserts there are.

How varied and well cooked the food is.

How lovely the wine is.

How varied the scenery is.

How good public transport is.

and finally

How relaxed you can feel the moment you arrive and the fact you feel so sad when it comes to the time to go back home.

Staff

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do you wish you'd known before you came to Austria

I wish I had known one should say "Gruss Gott" instead of "Guten Tag" in Austria (and Bavaria).

It is much friendlier to say this (and everyone says it!). And I mean "everyone"!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,694 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What do you wish you'd known before you came to Austria

How far east Vienna is. Not that it is bad thing. But when you see cars with Hungarian and Slovakian number plates, and price tags with prices in Czech, Slovakian, Hungarian and various other currencies, you realise how close you are to what was once the Iron Curtain. It also made me realise that Vienna would be a good starting point to visiting those central and eastern European countries.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,531 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What do you wish you'd known before you came to Austria

I have never ever seen price tags in Vienna showing foreign currencies! And there is no Slovak currency anymore - they use the Euro!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,694 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What do you wish you'd known before you came to Austria

I should correct what I said. I realised that I got mixed up. The multi price tags I saw were in Prague. Sorry for the mix up. However I did a number of Hungarian and Slovak cars in Vienna.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What do you wish you'd known before you came to Austria

I second every comment made by Staff. We wish we had known how stunning the country was and how friendly and helpful the people are!

My father in law is Austrian and kept telling us not to go, that there was nothing to see etc. However, he was captivated by our photos and stories of our trip. He left Austria not long after the war so his memories were quite different to our experience. I think he wants to go back for a holiday now!

I know I want to go back again!

London
Level Contributor
407 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What do you wish you'd known before you came to Austria

I wish I was better informed about speeding and how dilligent the police are at enforcing it.

Taken me three speeding tickets to finally get the message!

My fault I know....