We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melk- Worth it?

austin, TX
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Melk- Worth it?

I will be traveling with my boyfriend through various parts of Europe this summer. We have both been to Vienna, and did not enjoy the city very much, but I have heard great things about the quaint town of Melk and its abbey (and thought we might try a different Austrian experience that we might enjoy more).

Would it be worth a nights stop on the way from Munich to Eger, Hungary? We both love to take in unique historical sights and really enjoy local pubs and fare.

How feasible would it be to stop by train- it looks as though it is directly on the route? Or should we just skip it altogether?

Thanks so much for your feedback!

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melk- Worth it?

Ganz sicher! (For sure!)

Melk is a true jewel. I'm glad you are considering spending a day there. Many people just whiz by and don't Melk a second thought, and that's a shame. You won't regret it!

austin, TX
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melk- Worth it?

Thanks for your advice. I've always visited big cities in Europe, and this time around, I'm trying to stop at some of the beautiful towns that I've always just noticed from the train.

Any suggestions on must-sees/eats/drinks while I'm there (besides the Abbey, of course?)

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melk- Worth it?

There are several small restaurants in the town. Walk around and pick one that has the ambience/view that strikes your fancy. You can't miss. Melk is truly beautiful.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melk- Worth it?

Melk - historic, impressive -one of the most beautiful and most visited sights in Austria.

www.stiftmelk.at

Easy to reach by train - Melk is served by regional trains - an easy transfer from the main Vienna- Salzburg main line

www.oebb.at

Melk train station has lockers too.

Best place to stay and also dine is Hotel Post.

Hotel is central in town.

Abbey has an ok restaurant too.

While Melk is filled with bus and ship tours during the day.

It is quiet at night.

Other than the Abbey little of interest in the town.

But the Abbey Church , Festsaal, library, exhibits. gardens, newly restored bastion takes considerable time.

The town Church is worth a look just to compare the normal decoration of the local church in contrast to the Abbey.

Perhaps a short walk to the Danube too.

5. Re: Melk- Worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 22:41