We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sparchiene ticket

Lebanon, Tennessee
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Sparchiene ticket

I just booked and bought on oebb site sparschiene tickets from vienna to salzburg and from salzburg to vienna on 20 Aug 2012.and also sparschiene tickets from vienna to Budapest on 21Aug2012.Please can anybody advice me if it necessary to make seat reservations or not.(we are 2 adults and 2 children 6 and 3 yrs old) Because i do not want any surprises.Thank you in advance.

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sparchiene ticket

You are travelling during the peak vacation period, so this is one time when I say you should reserve for four people.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
21,685 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sparchiene ticket

I usually advise to arrive at the station a little earlier and board the train when ready for boarding (applicable if train originates at station). Most travelers do not have a seat reservation. From Salzburg to Vienna there is a chance that the train arrives from any place West of Salzburg such as Innsbruck, Zurich or Munich and only stops in Salzburg briefly. Then you can't logically board earlier than the rest. If you want a complete hassle-free vacation, then make a reservation.

Lebanon, Tennessee
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sparchiene ticket

Thank you for your replies, I decided to make a seat reservation but how can i make the reservation after i already bought them on line. Do you know the link that i can make the seat reservation on?

And Mr. mickey i want to tell you that when i bought the tickets on line i put that we are 4 passengers. 2 adults and one between 6 and 14yrs and one between 4 & 5 yrs old. But when the tickets were sent by mail it mentioned 2 erwachsene & 1 Kind. it means 2 adult and 1 child. but i have 2 children. Any problem will arise when boarding?

Thank you in advance

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,685 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sparchiene ticket

On www.oebb.at you can make seat reservations for domestic trips only. Query a connection, start a booking BUT choose "SEAT RESERVATION ONLY" when you get to the appropriate page. In order to get a reservation for your ride to Budapest you need to go to a train station, not necessarily to the one where the train leaves from. You could actually do the reservation stuff at West Station before you leave for Salzburg.

Children below the age of 6 are free of charge, so I suppose that is the reason why aren't listed.

Edited: 23 July 2012, 08:26
Lebanon, Tennessee
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sparchiene ticket

Thank you for your prompt replies, i will do the online reservation as you mentioned and i will be going to westbahnof station on August16 to buy tickets for melk abbey and from krems to vienna. So i will reserve the seats to budapest (21 Aug) on that day. This will be 5 days before the journey. Is this ok?

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,685 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sparchiene ticket

In this case I would do the complete reservation stuff on the day of your trip to Melk and Krems. You can easily get your seats even the day before.

Lebanon, Tennessee
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sparchiene ticket

Ok i will apply your advise. Thanks a lot.

Lebanon, Tennessee
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sparchiene ticket

I just called the oebb customer service and they were very kind and the girl told me that they will refund the tickets by voucher. They will send it by mail within 2 weeks. I will be using it to buy the combi tickets to danube valley.Thanks for your advice

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,685 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sparchiene ticket

Great news!

10. Re: Sparchiene ticket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2013, 10:17