We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip Suggestions from Benediktbeuern, DE

Hartford...
Level Contributor
81 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip Suggestions from Benediktbeuern, DE

I will be spending several days in Benediktbeuern, Germany and I'm looking for suggestions for day trips to Austria. I will have the time to take 1 or 2 day trips to Austria.

It appears as if Innsbruck is not too far away, so that is a consideration.

I am looking for specific suggestions for things to do. I will have my 8 year old daughter with me, so kid friendly suggestions would be most appreciated.

I will have access to a car, if driving is a better option than the train.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!!

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip Suggestions from Benediktbeuern, DE

I suggest you get a car. By public transportation (bus and train) it takes about 3 1/2 hours one way to get from Benediktbeuren to Innsbruck, with a minimum of 2 and up to 4 bus/train changes

The route from B. south to Innsbruck is the B-11 Bundestrasse, a scenic drive. You pass the lakes Kochelsee and Walchensee. I, personally, would only go as far as Seefeld in Tirol, stopping en route in Mittenwald. Both are typical alpine places, with cable car to take you up mountains.

Innnsbruck is a city, surrounded by mountains, which are also accessible by cable cars. But its pretty part is rather small. Im am not sure that city driving would be that much fun for your girl.

One last suggestion: Drive from Benediktbeuren to Schloss Linderhof, via the Autobahn A-95, exit at Oberau/Ettal). This is a fascniating palace by King Ludwig II, in sort of a crazy way that would appeal to an 8-year old. Afterward, take the train up to the Zugspitze and she can play in the snow.

The drive from Benediktbeuren to Seefeld is something like 70km. From B. to Linderhof and Garmisch about 80km

Edited: 25 July 2012, 00:51
Hartford...
Level Contributor
81 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip Suggestions from Benediktbeuern, DE

Thank you, Treplow!

Day trips within Germany to Oberammergau/Ettal/Castle Linderhof and Zugspitze were on my "wish list". It didn't occur to me that we could combine them into the same day. In looking at a map, it definitely looks like we could visit all of the attractions in the area in one day. Thank you for the suggestion!

I think another day trip to Neuschwanstein Castle is required. Any suggestions of sites we can combine with that trip?

My husband also wants to visit Ulm. I think that is a day trip in itself, given the distance from Benediktbeuern.

My friend, who lives in Germany, says that Innsbruck is overrated. My memories from Innsbruck (although it was 20 years ago) were very positive. I like the idea of visiting an Olympic village. However, based on your recommendation, I may skip it and visit other sites instead.

Thanks again!

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip Suggestions from Benediktbeuern, DE

Re Neuschwanstein. You could combine it with the Wieskirche. This baroque jewel is a bit east of Steingaden, which in nturn is on the B-17 to Fuessen. There is a good road to Steingaden from Eschelbacher Bruecke, on the B-23, which goes from Oberau, Ettal, Oberamergau, etc.

Die Wies in a beautiful loaction, a maedow as the name implies. If my memory serves me right , there are some farm animals around for kids to play with.

As for Ulm: Not far from it, outside of Guenzburg, is Legoland.

If you and your daughter have any plans to visit Munich, don't miss the Deutsche Museum with its toy trains, full trains, musical instruments etc. And the Bayerische National Museum has a wonderful Creche museum.

4. Re: Day Trip Suggestions from Benediktbeuern, DE

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2013, 10:17