We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outerwear last week in November?

Toronto
Level Contributor
927 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Outerwear last week in November?

Taking a holiday market river cruise from Budapest, to Vienna and Salzburg to Passau. Planning ahead for outerwear...will I need a full ski jacket or would you recommend layering...a fleece jacket with a thinner overcoat? I hope it is not too ice cold.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,200 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Outerwear last week in November?

Layering always is a good way to deal with variable weather conditions. Weather here can, as in Toronto, fluctuate - between snowfall+low temperatures and sunshine+warm temperatures everything is possible. But the more extreme, the lower the probabilty. I would either bring a thinner winter jacket or something that you would usually wear in fall and add additional layers if necessary. I would also think of something water-proof.

Edited: 19 August 2012, 10:12
Toronto
Level Contributor
927 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Outerwear last week in November?

Okay..so rain is possibility as it is here. I figured maybe like Toronto with less of a bite. Thanks!

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Outerwear last week in November?

If traveling by river cruise ship-

most often they have umbrellas for their guests to use.

You will find some excursions are via a bus transfer so this can limit some exposure to cold, rain etc.

my opinion most important is a good pair of waterproof and insulated walking shoes or boots. Nothing worse than cold wet feet.

Layers walk allowing you to dress according to that day weather.

Most ships will provide a forecast for you.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Outerwear last week in November?

We were in Vienna mid December 2011. During the day we got away with light long sleeved tops and good down filled jackets. Some evenings were very cold and we added goretex jackets over the top of all that. Scarves, gloves and hats are good also.

You need to layer because interiors of museums, restaurantx etc are often quite warm.

I envy you! We adored Vienna (and Austria in general) and hope to return.

Enjoy!

Toronto
Level Contributor
927 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Outerwear last week in November?

All good info, thanks.

6. Re: Outerwear last week in November?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2013, 05:15