We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna to Venice

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Vienna to Venice

Please can anyone advise on travel from Vienna to Venice - I know I can travel by train but this takes ten hours and cheapest fare I have found is £80 cost is ok but a very long journey! By air I am amazed at the cost - the flight time is approx 1hr 15 mins and I cannot find a flight one way for less than £450!!

From Venice after two nights stay I want to travel to Arezzo and Bolsena any help would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks

Lena

Europe
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Vienna to Venice

It's a bit difficult to give any advice without knowing you dates, since one thing is to buy ticket for tomorrow and totally different thing is for two month in advance.

In general, train tickets Vienna to Venice start from 29 euro (daytime or overnight options), you just need to purchase discounted tickets and not standard full fare. By air it's also possible to do for more less than £450 ;)

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vienna to Venice

Thank you, so sorry I should have given dates! Plan to travel from Vienna on 7th May or within two days of that date to Venice. Any advice I would be very grateful. Would prefer flights too long a journey by train.

Thanks

Lena

Europe
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vienna to Venice

Well, if 8 hour journey by land is too much for you, then maybe more optimal (money/time) will be combination of train+flight. For instance, on May 7th RyanAir flight from Budapest to Venice-Treviso costs only slightly more than 30 euro, while Vienna to Budapest by train is 3 hours and from 19 euro for the ticket. Also on the same date AirBerlin offers connecting flights Vienna-Dusseldorf-Venice for £ 106.50. And since it's still 3 month in advance, it is still possible to expect that air fares might get lower (promo campaigns, offers etc.), though no guarantees that it will happen

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vienna to Venice

Get the night train. As you will be sleeping for most of it, it doesn't really matter how long it will take, and there is nothing more magical than crossing the lagoon in the morning and stepping out on the Grand Canal. It is the perfect introduction to Venice.

Book using www.oebb.at

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,236 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vienna to Venice

Going to Budapest and then by plane won't be decisively faster. Ryanair does not fly to the airport of Venice, their flights land at airport of the town of Treviso which is located North of Venice. Not that far away, but it also takes time to get to Venice from there.

I would stick to the train+bus combo. The scenery is great! And the bus would take you to Tronchetto.

www.oebb.at

Vienna
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Vienna to Venice

By booking in advance you might only pay 29 EUR one way, approx. 25 GBP. As stated in the last messages definitely train+bus combo or the night train.

Regards

Ottavio N.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vienna to Venice

Thank you all for your guidance, really very helpful. Checking out your suggestions.

Many thanks

Lena

8. Re: Vienna to Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2014, 06:17