We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel suggestions in Austria

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
142 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Travel suggestions in Austria

I've recently rearranged my upcoming 2 month trip which gives me an additional 6 nights. Thinking of adding it to the Austrian leg of my trip which falls in August. I am coming from Cesky Krumlov (Czech Republic) and will not be hiring a car

Originally I was going to spend 3 nights in Salzburg and then 4 nights in Vienna (incl a day trip to Danube) before flying out to Istanbul.

Any suggestions for the additional 6 nights. Was thinking Bad Ischl and Zem al See (if there is a bus that goes up Glossglocker road, but I read on another post that might have been cancelled?. I think however I can add 1 night to Salburg and do a Glossglocker day tour from Salzburg with 'Bob's Tours'.

Any other thoughts on the extra 6 nights? I am mostly interested in scenery but needs to be accessible with public transport, or via a tour.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,868 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel suggestions in Austria

Salzburg + Salzkammergut District (Bad Ischl, Hallstatt, St. Wolfgang, Ice Caves at Dachstein Mountain) + Vienna sounds good. I would not go to Zell am See in this case! Bad Ischl is a lovely town and strategically well located as it also is a transportation hub in the area. You could visit Salzburg as a day trip from Bad Ischl if you like.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
142 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel suggestions in Austria

Thanks mikey. I think you are right and will skip Zemm al See.

6 nights (or 5 if I spend 4 nights in Salzburg) sounds a little too much in Bad Ischl. Is Linz a good place for a couple nights (one full day)...was thinking of it since I have to pass through on the way from Cesky Krumlov anyway (if taking train).

Or perhaps I should spend 2 nights in one of the towns on Danube River...saves me having to do a daytrip from Vienna.

Edited: 24 February 2013, 21:14
Lennox Head...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel suggestions in Austria

I think you should spend some time on the Danube. Go to Melk and make sure you go to Durnstein but go early in the morning. At this time it would be very busy I fear. We will also be thereabouts in August Sept. Enjoy yourself

4. Re: Travel suggestions in Austria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2014, 05:18