We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berchtesgaden vs Hallstatt - May 2013

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
Berchtesgaden vs Hallstatt - May 2013

I have a choice of visiting one or the other. I'm leaning more towards Berchtesgaden, I wanted to visit the national forest and stay away from the touristy areas

I'm looking for

-beautiful scenery

-quiet atmosphere

-great food and wine

in this regard, would Berchtesgaden be better fit, would the travel gods forgive me if I passed on Hallstatt, or is Hallstatt a must see?

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Berchtesgaden vs Hallstatt - May 2013

Hallstatt is a small comunity (village) in a fairly narrow valley, with limited lodgings and amenities. If you don't have a car, you have limited opportunities in terms of seeing "other places" in the vicinity. It does, however, have great scenery and good opportunities for hiking.

Berchtesgaden is a fairly sizeable town, with a good tourist and public transportation infrastructure. There are good places to go to for half-day or full day trips, using public transportation: Bad Reichenhall, Salzburg, Herrenchiemsee, etc.

I would select B'gdn, and look for opportunities offered by local transportation companies to visit Hallstatt for a day. These bus tours usually are in German for Germans, but the scenery speaks all languages.

Edited: 27 April 2013, 03:23
Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Berchtesgaden vs Hallstatt - May 2013

Hi

Just to clarify you say "visiting one or the other".

Do you mean stay overnight for one or more nights(how many nights) in one of these two locations.

Or

Visit both locations from somewhere else?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Berchtesgaden vs Hallstatt - May 2013

I only had time to visit one, either Hallstatt or Berchtesgaden, I might be staying 2-3 nights depending on how much I get accomplished in terms of sight seeing, the Eagle's Nest tour actually looks pretty interesting.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Berchtesgaden vs Hallstatt - May 2013

Hi

Hallstatt can be a bit overrun with tourists. But May will be fine. I personally avoid in July/August.

Plenty to do of course. Salt Mine, boat trips, walking. Other side of the lake Obertraun and the Ice cave and 5 fingers.

I really enjoyed the Eagles Nest, stunning views of Austria and Bavaria on a clear day.

Can get a bit busy as it's a popular tourist attraction.

Treplow makes some good recommendations.

5. Re: Berchtesgaden vs Hallstatt - May 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2014, 06:17